Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open any numbers, pages or keynote document directly from iCloud drive

Hi,

On my iMac if I try to open any files from the iCloud drive either by double-clicking on them from Finder or using Open from within the app I receive the message:

"The file xxx.xxx couldn't be opened"

User uploaded file

If I copy or move the file outside of iCloud drive I can open it without a problem.

I can create new files from within the app (e.g. Numbers) and they save and are uploaded to iCloud (I can see them on other devices and on iCloud.com) - but I can't open them from the iMac without copying outside of the iCloud Drive.

Just did a text with a different app (TextEdit) and it has the same problem so this seems related to iCloud Drive and not specifically iWorks apps

Anyone know how to resolve?

Ian

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 10.10.3 Photo's public beta

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 12:36 PM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2015 1:10 AM in response to IanBlackburn

Hi Ian,

I have the exact opposite problem.

After upgrading to El Capitan, all my numbers documents failed to open with the message:

"Numbers cannot open the document <name>"

After moving (not copying) that document into iCloud Drive, the document opens without problems on that exact computer (MacBook Pro late 2012).

Moving the document back into the original folder resulted in the same error again. So in my case: Numbers documents can only be opened, if they are stored in iCloud Drive. Extremely strange behavior.

Anyone a hint how to solve this annoying problem?

Regards

Mik

Feb 19, 2016 6:44 PM in response to michaelruhland

Hi Ian

Mik had the solution. I had the same issue. I couldn't open files of any type stored in iCloud drive on my MacBook air although i could with my iPhone. Also i couldn't delete files on my Mac. (error-36)

Reset the pram as suggested above. Fixed the problem.

Hold command+option+p+r upon restart.

Thanks Mik, appreciate your help.

MacBook air 10.11.3

jos

Cannot open any numbers, pages or keynote document directly from iCloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.