Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting pop ups on my iMac for the first time in 6 years after one of my kids tried to watch football through crichd tv. safari now opens with smart search engine rather than google every time i try to open a new web page.

Ever since one of my kids tried to watch football on a website called crichd tv I keep getting pop us come up like Mackeeper and every time i try to open a web page it comes up with Smartsearch rather than google which is my preferred search engine in preferences. I have blocked extensions and changed homepage to google but this Smartsearch keeps overriding. Also a thing called MacKeeper keeps popping up I have followed the instructions to uninstall but the file it says to move to trash from the Applications folder but it simply isn't there or anywhere else. The file to uninstall Smartsearch is also not where they say it is in Library>frameworks>

Very frustrating from going from a perfectly working system to a now very frustrating and annoying pop ups coming uo after every time i open a new web page.

Any help or assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Russ

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 10:12 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Pezo12

You (or your kids) inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

Any tips on how to stop it from happening?

Yes. To learn how to avoid it in the future read How to install adware.

If you require them, Apple's removal instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

I keep getting pop ups on my iMac for the first time in 6 years after one of my kids tried to watch football through crichd tv. safari now opens with smart search engine rather than google every time i try to open a new web page.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.