Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro: To Upgrade or Update?

Hey Folks,

I know that this is a topic that has been covered in some detail, but I was hoping to get some feedback from people in the know regarding my specific circumstances and the most reasonable course of action. So, to begin, I have a mid-2010, 15 inch MacBook Pro with a 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM (1067 MHz DDR3) and an NVIDA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB Graphics Card. This was an amazing computer when I bought it and it continues to work quite well for must of my needs. However, recently, I have been using Pro Tools 11 Music Production software, as well as the Music Composing application MuseScore and I have found that I am not able to get the level of real-time processing speed that I see in some other small home recording setups I have encountered. As a result, I have begun to explore the idea of updating my hardware to a new Mac – perhaps a desktop model but I'm not necessarily married to that idea, as my sense of the benefits is somewhat vague, having to do with a "dedicated workspace" and that kind of thing.

While considering my options, I spoke with a phone rep at Apple who, after reviewing my needs and options, recommended that, rather than buying a whole new computer, I upgrade from my current 4 GB of RAM to either 8 or 16 GB (I know 16 is really a lot, but running music editing software is really an incredible RAM suck, believe me). I want to avoid the whirring and crashes that are somewhat unavoidable with my current setup. Moreover, the rep also introduced the idea of upgrading my processor to a Quadcore and looking into graphics cards if I felt that I wanted to move up to something newer.

After talking to the rep, I generally feel that just upgrading my different hardware elements is probably the way to go for me as I would save a lot of money, but I still feel somewhat reticent seeing as this computer is already close to five years old and it seems that spending a lot of money on something that will soon be obsolete seems foolish. On the other hand, having played with lots of new Macbook Pros and Mac desktops, I really haven't seen any aesthetic changes or new features that really scream out to me to buy the newest model as mine does not seem substantially dated in any real way - in fact, I generally find it a little better than most of the floor models I have played with in the Apple store. The only thing that I even remotely notice is dated is that my MacBook is one generation older than when "Airplay" was implemented in apple TV, so I cannot pair remotely, but that doesn't make a huge difference to me.

I should also mention for context that I did have a Hard Drive crash about 8 months ago at which time I upgraded from a 500 GB to a 1 TB drive, so I have already put some money into the computer. I don't play any video games, so that sort of thing isn't really a consideration, nor is social media a big thing for me, outside of Spotify which I use more or less constantly. Also, though it maybe irrelevant, I will be moving from California to Durham, UK in the summer to begin graduate school, so if there is anything to consider in terms of international functionality, please let me know.

Basically, I just want to know whether anyone sees a clear choice between the two scenarios I have presented: Should I "Supe-Up" my current MacBook with more RAM, and/or a QuadCore processor, or if I should buy a new computer altogether. If anyone has suggestions for other ideas to consider, I would be appreciative of any advice you can offer.

Best!

Mitch

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid-2010 Model

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:19 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 11:57 AM in response to dominic23

Hey Dominic,

Thanks for the reply. May I ask why? I can completely understand the general thinking that my computer is pretty old and there may be – in the near future some level of functionality that is lost by having an older piece of hardware, but I guess I just haven't been able to see what specifically I am missing out on by not having a newer MB Pro. It may just be beyond my understanding I suppose, but I'm not all that knocked out by the retina display (I connect to TVs via HDMI when I watch stuff on the computer), nor any of the other subtle changes. I guess the newer ones may be better configured for new tech coming out in the future, but I'm just not sure....Thanks!

Mar 4, 2015 12:32 PM in response to mitchkroener

I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch early 2011.

The new features available in OS X Yosemite like Continuity, Handoff,etc are not supported in this model.

I did upgrade RAM to avoid any possible slowdown.

I found replacing the HD with SSD is too expensive for a 4 years old model.

Replacing the CPU/GPU is not for amateurs.

If you think that rebuilding a Mac part by part is a viable option, please go ahead and rebuild it.

Best.

Mar 4, 2015 12:35 PM in response to mitchkroener

You cannot upgrade the processor in your MacBook pro. That component is soldered into the motherboard. You will need to upgrade your computer to get to quad core.

That said, you can still pep up your computer by upgrading the RAM and moving to SSD storage. 16GB should work for your model and adding an SSD will significantly speed up your overall performance. But Pro Tools on the quad cores of a newer macbook pro with same RAM and SSD will likely be faster.

cycloptic

Mar 4, 2015 12:45 PM in response to mitchkroener

What ever 'rep' you talked with provided you with some erroneous information. There is no whay that you will be able to install a quad core CPU or a different GPU. The Maximum RAM that your MBP will accept is 8 GB, NOT 16 GB.

The only realistic enhancements you can make are installing 8 GB RAM and a SSD. Whether the performance increase will achieve your ends is open to debate.

If the funds will not stretch for a new MBP, consider a second hand 15" mid 2012 in good shape. It is a quad core and came with CPUs up to 2.7 GHz. It will accept 16 GB RAM and naturally you can also install a SSD.

Ciao.

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro: To Upgrade or Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.