Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i place a text box anywhere with the updated preview?

Preview used to allow me to click anywhere to place a text box when the text tool was selected. Now when I click the text tool it places a box in the middle of the screen. Is there a way I can initially place the text anywhere I want without having to move a box already placed in the center?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:27 AM

17 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Gary Scotland

I must be mistaken then, I thought the OP was referring to this issue:

Preview Text Annotation

From there

It seems that the flow of adding text annotations to pdf files on preview has changed on Yosemite. Instead of allowing the user to place a text box with the cursor and then begin editing, the behavior has been updated with placing the textbox automatically

Or this thread

The Markup Extension in Preview

From that thread

Now when you want to draw a text box, you have to click the text box button, which puts a placeholder box in the center of the page. You can then start typing, and then you have to put the box where it should go. To type another one, you have to click the toolbar text box button again. Same with arrows, you click the button and it puts an arrow right in the center of the screen. Then you have to move it and resize it to fit where it is supposed to be.

FWIW, I cannot do this "then click your document where you want to place a text box" on My Preview (see this clip from Apple)

Mac Basics: Preview app views and edits images and PDFs - Apple Support

Text tool

Use the Text tool User uploaded fileto add text to your image. Select the text tool, then click your document where you want to place a text box. You can then type text in the text box.

Mar 4, 2015 1:12 PM in response to jhbphd

Hi, jhbphd

that is why I had offered the original post to you right off the bat. Complain/tell Apple. Check the subtle use of 'feature' 😉

You will need to send product feedback to Apple regarding this 'feature'

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

The more people that do give constructive feedback on the product(s), the more likely Apple is to respond. At least, that is the current theory.

Mar 5, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for the directions above if jhbphd's mac has an issue, so does mine with Preview.

To illustrate what current release of Preview does:

open a png and select add text, the block goes to the center:

User uploaded file

If I follow the directions that you posted and

(1) drag over an area within Preview (see the pic below) and then

(2) add Text it still pops right in the center. This happens whether I add an arrow, a rectangle, a balloon.

User uploaded file

can i place a text box anywhere with the updated preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.