Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing my apple ID and getting a new free apple email account

I have an apple ID which was set up using a btinternet account containing my married name. My marriage has broken down and for a number of reasons I wish to distance myself totally from my former partner, and this includes email addresses.

This would have been relatively easy to do by setting up additional btinternet email address had the account not been in his name (even though payment went from a joint account!): only he can create additional email addresses in that account so I am snookered until I reach the end of the contract in May and can start one in my name.

I thought I had a solution, i.e. to create a free iCloud email account in my new name and auto-forward all emails from the btinternet accounts until I can re-educate all my contacts, and then close them and the contract down and move to a new provider who is a little more customer friendly!

However, I cannot find out how to create a free iCloud email account: it seems that the Apple ID has to be an email address which is NOT an apple domain. Do I really have to set up a free email account with someone like live or gmail in order to change my Apple ID? I really don't want a messy solution with permanent links / forwards etc between different email accounts. I need to end up with a single account to & from which personal emails can be sent, and to which I can have forwarded emails from my business domain account.

Any ideas: preferably in plain English as I am not a techy! Simple instructions like go to xxxxxxx, hit yyyyyyy, then click zzzzzzz etc work for me!

Thanks in advance

Sandi

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 9:22 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Sandiwin

Sorry, but the only way to set up an iCloud account is via an Apple ID, and the Apple ID must be a valid email address. Apple-domain email addresses (like @me.com, and @mac.com) are already Apple IDs. If you do not already have one of those, then you need another valid email address in order to set up the new Apple ID/iCloud account.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 4, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Sandiwin

If you change Apple IDs then any item you purchased under your original ID will have to be repurchased again. So in case you need to update an application on your Mac be sure to save and remember the old Apple ID and password so you can sign in to the App Store to download updates. If your ex changes the password for that account you'll have to start over from scratch with those purchased items.

As gfm pointed out you can create a new Apple ID and get your own email address at that time. So make sure you make the email address exactly what you want it to be. It can't be changed. But you can create up to 3 alias addresses that are connected to the primary address.

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Sandiwin

Thanks to both of you. I have to say that I am no clearer! My appleID was set up for me using my married surname when I purchased the mac. I have @me.com & @icloud.com addresses as well which seemed to happen automatically when the apple id was registered, also using the same surname - effectively the basic apple ID used yyy@btinternet.com with the yyy being my married surname, and the me.com and iCloud.com addresses were formed with yyy@icloud.com.

OT: if I need to create a new Apple ID how do I do it? it seems to ask for an email address which is not an Apple domain already but the only ones I have are my old yyy@btinternet.com which I am trying to get rid of!

So, do I have to get an email address from someone like gmail or whatever and then use that to set up a new Apple ID? If so that seems a bit daft! And if i do that, you're saying that I lose all the Apps purchased under the old one (so my mac compatible 'office suite' etc?) - but there's no way of changing my existing Apple ID to link to a different email address?

I'm confused and irritated! It's bad enough having to go through the mill trying to change names with banks, bills etc without this as well!

Mar 4, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Sandiwin

Sandiwin wrote:

Thanks to both of you. I have to say that I am no clearer! My appleID was set up for me using my married surname when I purchased the mac. I have @me.com & @icloud.com addresses as well which seemed to happen automatically when the apple id was registered, also using the same surname - effectively the basic apple ID used yyy@btinternet.com with the yyy being my married surname, and the me.com and iCloud.com addresses were formed with yyy@icloud.com.

OT: if I need to create a new Apple ID how do I do it? it seems to ask for an email address which is not an Apple domain already but the only ones I have are my old yyy@btinternet.com which I am trying to get rid of!

So, do I have to get an email address from someone like gmail or whatever and then use that to set up a new Apple ID? If so that seems a bit daft! And if i do that, you're saying that I lose all the Apps purchased under the old one (so my mac compatible 'office suite' etc?) - but there's no way of changing my existing Apple ID to link to a different email address? No there is no way of changing your existing @me.com or @mac.com email address. You can try contacting Apple support to see if they can help, but if the email address is yoursurname@me.com, or yoursurname@mac.com, not sure how it is uniquely your Apple ID (as opposed to he who shall not be named's Apple ID).

So, yes - you would need an email address from someone like gmail.

To set it up you would go to: Apple - My Apple ID

To set up iCloud on that Apple ID you would follow the intstuctions in: Creating an iCloud account: Frequently Asked Questions - Apple Support

As far as the purchases go, they will be tied to the Apple ID that they were purchased with. If that Apple ID is an Apple domain ID, then you would need continued access to that Apple ID/email address and its associated password in order to continue to update or to re-download those purchases.

Only Apple IDs that are email addresses other than an Apple domain can be changed. For someone with an @gmail.com address as the Apple ID, the owner can go in at any time and change that email address to something else.

However, Apple domain email address cannot be changed on the Apple ID they are associated with.

I'm confused and irritated! It's bad enough having to go through the mill trying to change names with banks, bills etc without this as well!

Cheers,

GB

changing my apple ID and getting a new free apple email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.