Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15 inch Retina will not boot

Hello everyone,

I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro with retina display (mid 2012) that decided it is no longer going to boot. I was using it like normal and when I was done I shut the cover and unplugged the power adapter. When I came back about 8 hours later the Macbook wouldn't wake up. I opened the cover and it was dead. The keyboard backlights didn't come on, the display didn't come on and pressing the power button did nothing. I thought that maybe for some reason the computer didn't go to sleep and used up the battery. However I didn't get the lower battery indicator that I have in the past when the battery ran too low to boot. I left it plugged in over night, the light on the charger indicates a full charge (green light). Now when I press the power button I can hear the fans kick on and I get the chime sound but no display, no keyboard backlights, no capslock key light. So far I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM but am still getting the same results. I've also tried restarting in Safe mode and single user mode and get the same results.

Prior to this I was having an issue where the battery would run down while asleep but the macbook would always wake up or power on once I connected it to the power supply

Right now I have it plugged in and the indicator light is green. I'm going to leave it plugged in while I'm at work to see if it will boot when I get back since I've run out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 10:58 AM

1 reply

Macbook Pro 15 inch Retina will not boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.