Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend wifi range from Mac Pro with Airport Extreme

I am trying to extend an office wifi, called "NetworkA" to my desk area. The signal comes from a Mac Pro (which is hard wired to our network) that has internet sharing enabled. I have an "AirPort Extreme Base Station A1354" and a "AirPort Time Capsule" at my disposal that I can use to use to extend the wifi. I did a hard reset of both devices.

When I connect the Extreme directly to the Mac Pro, "AirPort Utility" lists the device, but when I choose it and it starts to set up, I get the error "An unexpected error occurred. Try again.".

When I connect the Time Capsule directly to the Mac Pro, "Airport Utility" lists the device, but when I choose it and it starts to set up, the computer automatically switches to "NetworkB" (we have multiple wifis).

How can I extend "NetworkA"?? Thanks.

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:40 PM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

You need to configure the AEBS or Time Capsule to extend an existing network from the main wireless router. Then run an Ethernet cable from an AEBS LAN port to the Ethernet port on the computer.

You cannot do that if the main router is not apple.. I suspect it isn't.

I am trying to extend an office wifi, called "NetworkA" to my desk area. The signal comes from a Mac Pro (which is hard wired to our network) that has internet sharing enabled.

This is really messy..

Plug the airport directly into the same network the Mac Pro is in and use double NAT (that is all the Mac Pro is doing).

Then extend it with the other airport.. you can extend as long as you use two apple routers.

Extend wifi range from Mac Pro with Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.