Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock iPhone after someone tried 6 wrong passwords, without losing photos

Hi all,

While volunteering in Africa, my iPhone got stolen. The thief tried more than 6 password combinations, so he locked the iPhone but was unable to unlock it and frustrated brought the phone back. So now I have the phone and the sim card, but the phone is locked. Unfortunately, the Macbook Air I have with me is not synchronized with this phone.

Is there a way to unlock the phone (I do know the correct code) without losing the data that is on the phone? I have taken quite some picture recently that were not yet backed up and that I really do not want to lose.

When I connect the phone to the Macbook, iTunes asks me to synchronize the phone with the computer. Will that back up everything from the phone to the laptop? Or will that erase everything from the phone?

What is the recommended way to be able to use the phone ASAP, losing as little data as possible?

Thanks for your time!

iPhone 5, iOS 8, null

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:30 PM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2015 2:42 PM in response to snooze92

Sorry, there is no way to do this without restoring the device from scratch.

Locked Out, Forgot Lock or Restrictions Passcode, or Need to Restore Your Device: Several Alternative Solutions

A

1. iOS- Forgotten passcode or device disabled after entering wrong passcode

2. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

3. Restoring iPod touch after forgotten passcode

4. What to Do If You've Forgotten Your iPhone's Passcode

5. iOS- Understanding passcodes

6. iTunes 10 for Mac- Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

7. iOS - Unable to update or restore

Forgotten Restrictions Passcode Help

iPad,iPod,iPod Touch Recovery Mode

You will need to restore your device as New to remove a Restrictions passcode. Go through the normal process to restore your device, but when you see the options to restore as New or from a backup, be sure to choose New.

You can restore from a backup if you have one from BEFORE you set the restrictions passcode.

Also, see iTunes- Restoring iOS software.

Mar 4, 2015 2:42 PM in response to snooze92

Syncing is your only hope. There is no way to get around the passcode lock. If you choose to sync the phone it might prompt you to enter your passcode on the phone. That would be a good thing. But I can't promise you will recover your data and photos. There's a setting on the phone to erase the phone after 10 failed password attempts. If you had that enabled then the contents on the phone are already gone.

Unlock iPhone after someone tried 6 wrong passwords, without losing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.