Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Albums missing from my I Tunes media file. How can I sync them?

Some albums I have purchased and downloaded from the I Tunes Store are missing from my I Tunes Media File, Can anybody advise as to how to sync my library with the Media file? (I have tried consolidating - but the missing albums are still missing.

Thanks

A

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:32 AM

What do you mean by the "I Tunes Media File"? If you've purchased albums from the iTunes Store but do not see them in iTunes you should - in most cases - be able to redownload them so that they are then available in iTunes. See Download past purchases - Apple Support/

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:05 PM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks for following this up. I'm not great with computer files - so I'll try to describe it again:

The albums have all downloaded and appear in my I Tunes - so no problem there. I want to copy them over onto an SD card for my car. I have tried dragging the albums from I tunes to the SD Card, however, the album title does not go and all of the tracks appear as individual files, rather than as an album. Previously, I had copied my albums over by going into windows: then computer: then music: then I tunes: then I Tunes media File and all the artists (and albums) are listed and I was able to drag the 'artists' across. However, not all of the Albums in my I Tunes appear in the I Tunes media file.

Having explored the problem a bit more, it may be that the albums which are missing are badly coded on I Tunes - in that, rather than being filed under the artists name, they are marked as 'various artists'. Whilst the tracks are collated under the album name, you cannot drag across the album - other than as filed under an artists name - and there is no artists name. Even more confusing is that it is a series of albums (about 12) 5 of them are coded under the artists name - the others are not. The ones that are under the artists name go across no problem, the other ones go as single tracks.

So I remain a bit stuck. Any suggestons welcomed.

A

Mar 4, 2015 1:37 PM in response to al1031

"I have tried dragging the albums from I tunes to the SD Card, however, the album title does not go and all of the tracks appear as individual files, rather than as an album."

That's how it works ... if you drag and drop from iTunes to a Windows Explorer window (e.g., for an SD card), it will copy the individual songs (typically as .m4a or .mp3 files), but not put them in a folder that represents the album (unless you create one first). Information about the album is still embedded in the individual files so, depending on how your in-car systems works, it should still show them as correctly associated with the album title, etc.

"rather than being filed under the artists name, they are marked as 'various artists'."

There are two cases to look at. Firstly, are the albums concerned by a single artist, or are they compilations of tracks by different artists? If the latter, there are two ways in which this can be handled in iTunes:

• The value in the Album Artist may be set to "Various Artist", where right-click > Get Info on the album will be like this:
    User uploaded file
    and if you expand the album to show the songs you'll see the individual artist associated with each one:
    User uploaded file
    In this case you'll find the files in (assuming the default iTunes folder layout) in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\Music\Various Artists\album_name
  • The "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag is checked in all the songs, like this:
    User uploaded file
    then iTunes will show the album as being by "Various Artists", listed at the end of any artist-sorted list, and will store the files in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\Music\Compilations\album_name.

Just to confuse things, if you have the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag checked and have "Various Artists" in the Album Artist field then:

• iTunes will sort the album according to the Album Artist value (as it does in the first case), but
  • it will store the files in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\Music\Compilations\album_name, as in the second case.

The second scenario is related to this last example - you sometimes find albums where the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag is set even if the tracks are all by the same artist. I've seen this on rare examples from sources like Amazon MP3 downloads, but more often for imported CDs where the details of album title, artist, song titles, etc. are retrieved from Gracenote. I suspect that the reason is that up to iTunes 11 this flag was labeled as "Part of a compilation" and that some users (and maybe even some record companies) considered "Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" albums by a single artist to be "compilations" and tagged them accordingly.

In this second scenario the location where iTunes stores the files will again be determined by the setting of the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag:

• if the flag is checked for all songs, files will be in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\Music\Compilations\album_name
  • if the flag is unchecked for all songs, files will be in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\Music\artist_name\album_name

I'm not sure from your description which of these various scenarios you have (you might have all of them). Clearing the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag for the last case - albums by a single artist - is definitely a good idea, and its useful to decide on a consistent approach for any "real" (multi-artist) compilations. Using the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag is only necessary for some older models of iPod which don't recognize the Album Artist tag. I universally handle compilation albums by leaving the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" flag" unchecked and setting the Album Artist value to "Various Artists" - the reverse approach is, however, equally valid.

Mar 5, 2015 8:35 AM in response to hhgttg27

Awesome. Hugely helpful. The first scenario was bang on. Weird because half of the series of albums are coded under the artists name yet the other half are marked 'various artists' . . . . . Well not now, thanks to your help - all marked under the artists name.

The other weird thing is that when I first copied my I Tunes files to the SD Card, I simply 'checked' them, copied them to the SD card and it took them over in folders under the artists names. Now when I try that, or try to drag them, the album 'folder' does not carry over and the individual tracks are simply added to a big long list. As a work around, I have created new folders' for each album and then dragged the contents of that album to the folder - not the most efficient way but, hey, it works.

Thanks again for your help.

A

Albums missing from my I Tunes media file. How can I sync them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.