Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Retina 5k Display Has Marks Behind Screen. Why?

I have a new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5k Display. On the screen, above the Trash can in the lower right corner, are a few dozen or so 'marks or smudges' that appear on the screen, most easily seen with the Finder open. The marks are visible to the eye, but do not show up in a screen capture so they're not related to OS X, and they appear visible behind text, photos, or lines in the finder; almost as if they're a smudge from a marker, or someone tried to wipe the actual screen with a dirty rag. Visibly, they're annoying, but are not captured by any screen grab.

Any idea on how the marks got there and how to get rid of them?

User uploaded file

The marks are not on the front of the display, but appear to be behind whatever OS X displays on the screen. It does not matter what is on the screen, including app, desktop wallpaper, Finder-- the marks are always visible (unless the image is of a similar color).

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 24GB RAM, i5 CPU

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 12:46 PM

26 replies

Apr 24, 2017 2:01 AM in response to webdude20

Hi, I discovered the same issue on my iMAC 5K 27". Because I use one of the OS Sierra backgrounds with dark green trees at the bottom, you can't notice it when working in the middle of the screen. I noticed it only some months ago by coincidence when moving some window with white background to the bottom corner.

I predict that much more people will be confronted with this issue.

May 15, 2017 11:22 PM in response to -Garrick-

Hi Garrick,

Had the same issue with my MBP, swapped it for a new MBP with touchbar. The issue was not taken into account when determing the trade value for the old one, because the reseller told me that the repair program was still valid for my MBP , which was 3,5 years old.

So I hope that Apple will recognize the iMAC 5K issue soon. When I called Apple some months ago, the engineer was not aware of similar issues. Is there somebody who knows if we can take additional steps to inform Apple ?

May 30, 2017 8:24 AM in response to Pharod

I had the same issue as this thread with the smudges/dust under the 5k "sealed" glass. It was out of warranty, so the cost (SoCal) was $628.77 ($510.23 for the screen, $79 labor, + tax) for a replacement screen direct from the Apple store. The techs at the Apple store here said they had seen the a few times before but guessed that most people didn't want to lug in the iMac or spend the $ to get it fixed.

Was told if Apple issues a quality program for this later, that I'd get reimbursed so hopefully enough people have told Apple about the issue that it happens.

Oct 25, 2017 11:01 AM in response to Southerly48

Southerly48 wrote:

I would like to know how you get on. I am thinking of buying an iMac and will not accept in that condition.

Please remember these are "help" forums and are not indicative of typical users experiences. Looking at these forums is kind of like going to a hospital to get an idea of the overall health of the population of the US. That would be a totally ridiculous idea, it is the same as coming to these forums to get an idea of how "good" a Mac is.

Remember this, if you buy any Apple hardware product from Apple you have 14 days to return it for ANY reason. This should give you adequate time to evaluate what you bought and for it reveal any issues. In the 10+ years of buy multiple iMacs, Mac Minis, iPads, iPhones, iPods etc I have never had to return a product. I think my experience is typical of what most people experience. On rare occasion there are machines that have problems, hence why there is a 14 day return period and you are also covered by a 1 year warranty and if you buy AppleCare that is extended to 3 years.

Even if you see 20-30 even a 200 users with similar problems that is normally a VERY VERY small percentage (less than 1%) of the total population of machines therefore it's not indicative of the overall population.

Oct 25, 2017 11:35 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I agree, I own many Apple products and they are on the whole very reliable. I've had a few issues and to date Apple has by far been the best tech company I've ever dealt with in getting issues resolved. I expect no less in this case especially as this is a very expensive piece of kit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy or recommend Apple and have been happily Windows-free for many years now :-)

Nov 15, 2017 4:03 AM in response to J_Jason

The first genius who saw my iMac wasn't sure about the smears behind the glass but on checking with a supervisor he said it was covered under Applecare and they booked the machine in to have the entire screen and front glass (which is a single unit) replaced. I got the impression from the supervisor's reaction that its an issue they've seen quite a lot. It took about 10 days to get it replaced as they had a backlog.

Also to add please make sure you check over your computer very carefully when you take it in as mine came back with some damage to the front of the aluminium stand which wasn't there when it was checked in so it's now back in to have the stand replaced at Apple's cost. I'm not thrilled about it but at least they put their hands up and agreed to fix it without any quibbling.

I suspect if this issue does recur then it's a design fault rather than just badly sealed units and should be covered, in Europe at least, beyond the Applecare warranty.

iMac Retina 5k Display Has Marks Behind Screen. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.