Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I select the library from an external drive?

I select shift before opening up iTunes and it gives me the option to select a library, but how do I select everything that is loaded on that drive?

It won't let me select the iTunes library and it keep s asking me to open a different file?

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 12:34 PM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2015 12:48 PM in response to IbbotheDude

Is there an iTunes Library.itl file on the external drive? If so shift-start-iTunes, click Choose, and browse to it.

If not can you retrieve it from the previous computer? If so see Make a split library portable.

If not shift-start-iTunes, click Create, make a new library at X:\iTunes where X: is the drive letter, move all of your media inside X:\iTunes\iTunes Media, use Ctrl+B if needed to enable the menu bar, then use File > Add Folder to Library to add the contents of X:\iTunes\iTunes Media to the library. If you have any devices see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device to recover ratings, play counts, playlists and associate your devices with the new library without losing data.

See also Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

How do I select the library from an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.