Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have never used my AOL username as my Apple ID, yet I keept getting these email warnings from iTunes. Seems they are just targeting unnecessarily anyone with an AOL email address. Why the needless confusion?

The odd thing, we have also received these bogus warnings sent to an AOL email address that is not associated with our Apple ID. We always use the email address and never the username, so this seems very suspect.

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 12:27 PM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2015 12:51 PM in response to AlanrRS

The email should have gone to the email address linked to the AOL username - is that the email address that the email has gone to ? If you are currently using a 'normal' iTunes account (e.g. you log into using an email address) then the email will not have been sent to that account's email address

If you received the email from iTunes (e.g. it's not a phishing attempt ; as far as I'm aware the email itself doesn't contain any links for logging in or login things with the account) then that implies that at some point in the past that you've used that AOL username to log into iTunes. If you never have, or if you did but you never bought/downloaded anything with the username and there isn't an iTunes balance on the account, then ignore the emails.

I have never used my AOL username as my Apple ID, yet I keept getting these email warnings from iTunes. Seems they are just targeting unnecessarily anyone with an AOL email address. Why the needless confusion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.