Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Directory renewed SSL certificate will not set

Having renewed our 10.10.2 server 4.03 ssl certificate with no problems, all services except open directory have accepted the change. Open directory refuses to use it and switches back to the old certificate, so we currently have two certificates active. I have 15 days before the old certificate expires and naturally since it affects OD, everything is going to grind to a halt.

As much as I enjoy having to a do a clean install when the gremlins hit, does anyone, anywhere have any ideas?

Thanks in advance to any benevolent gurus out there, I'm stumped.

Guy

Xserve, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:20 PM

13 replies

Mar 5, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry, it's actually a bonafide ssl cert from GoDaddy. When the server was set up from scratch last year we converted the self signed cert to a valid one. This one is coming to the end of its life and that is why it has been updated, rekeyed and renewed but for some reason it won't take for OD but its fine for everything else. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

Mar 5, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Linc Davis

Yep that did indeed all happen thus-ly.

1. Server prompted that the certificate was due to expire in 30 days.
  2. Selected current certificate in server admin
  3. Pressed renew in server admin for the certificate which generated pending certificate entry
  4. Generated CSR
  5. Re-Keyed the cert on GoDaddy
  6. Downloaded Cert and Intermediate
  7. Dragged both Cert and intermediate files onto pending certificate in server app
  8. Applied new certificate settings to services
  9. All services except OD Updated.

I'm pretty sure I followed all steps correctly. Don't remember having this trouble with Mavericks server.

What about turning all services back to the old certificate or a temporary self signed cert deleting the new cert and generating a fresh certificate?

Or shutting down profile manager then turn of OD and redo the certificate then bring OD and PM back-up?

Many thanks for your help by the way.

Mar 5, 2015 2:52 PM in response to truong.dao

Many thanks gentlemen for your assistance, I have it working again!

I reverted to the old certificate for all services, deleted the new certificate, restarted the server and attempted to renew the original certificate again. For some reason the server complained that this was not a signed certificate, so I deleted it again restarted and on the third attempt the new certificate took. I am somewhat baffled but relieved.

Just cloning the server while having a well earned cuppa.

Thanks again, Linc and Truong

Jun 30, 2015 1:56 AM in response to governorguy

What are the effects of OD not using the renewed CA-signed certificate? From what I can see it is no longer used by OD (see below)

I followed exactly the same (correct) steps as @governorguy and, like him, all services except OD took the renewed certificate.

Regrettably I deleted the expiring certificate before discovering that OD had not taken the settings I made manually to use the renewed certificate.

However, I'm baffled as to what is the effect ofnot having OD associated with the renewed Certificate, as:

• Clients authenticate to Kerberos OK (IMAP and SMTP logins)
  • OS X network clients whose "Network Account Server" points to the OD Server can log in as Local Network Users OK.

From what I can see, OD seems to use a different Certificate that any selectable in the Server's Certificates tab. There is a certificate that is on both OS X Server's System Keychain and also the OS X Network client's keychain:

• Common Name: <myserver name> Open Directory Certification Authority
  • Organizational Unit: MACOSX OpenDirectory Root CA

Can anyone throw any more light on this?

Aug 21, 2015 10:55 AM in response to governorguy

I recently encountered this same issue on OS X 10.2 with Server 4.0. Our renewed GoDaddy SSL cert would not persist for Open Directory only; all other services used the updated cert without issue.

I noticed that in the /Library/Logs/slapconfig.log file, I would see the following message when attempting to use the updated cert for OD via the Server interface:

Could not locate certificate: myserver.mydomain.com 0

However, the updated cert was most definitely in the Keychain with the correct trust settings, etc (everything matched the expiring cert).

I tried the following to no avail, based on advice from this and other threads:

• deleting the new cert, redoing the CSR and re-adding the updated cert
  • restarting the server, then trying to apply the cert to OD
  • applying the cert with OD turned off
  • explicitly choosing "Always Trust" on the updated GoDaddy cert in Keychain
  • manually importing the GoDaddy cert files directly to Keychain

What finally did the trick for me came from this thread:

OSX Yosemite Server 4.0 - webapps & SSL issues

I ended up using a RapidSSL cert, which persisted for all services when selected from the Server interface, with no issue. I also saw the slapconfig log file update with the following entries:

2015-08-21 15:26:56 +0000 slapconfig -setldapconfig

2015-08-21 15:27:00 +0000 command: /usr/bin/ldapmodify -c -x -H ldapi://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fldapi

2015-08-21 15:27:00 +0000 Stopping LDAP server (slapd)

2015-08-21 15:27:04 +0000 Starting LDAP server (slapd)

2015-08-21 15:27:04 +0000 slapd started

The RapidSSL instructions for importing their cert state that both the certificate and intermediate CA cert that they provide need to be explicitly trusted in Keychain, which I did do (followed the instructions here, with some adjustments for 10.10 server: https://knowledge.rapidssl.com/support/ssl-certificate-support/index?page=conten t&actp=CROSSLINK&id=SO22535)

I'm not sure why explicitly trusting the GoDaddy cert didn't work, but I'm just happy the RapidSSL cert works. I've verified that all relevant services are functioning fine with the new cert.

Dec 27, 2015 3:26 PM in response to DBergstrom

I have had this problem every year for the past several years using a wildcard certificate from GoDaddy. It always takes me a day set aside to fix it.

The issue I have had on my server is that when the new certificate is installed, and you try to switch Open Directory from the old certificate to the new one, the configuration never changes over. OD continues to look for the old cert even if you delete it from /etc/certificates.

My server has the correct name, DNS is set up, and all that stuff...So here's what I did this time that worked, after the new certificate was installed:

1) Open Server.app

2) Go to Server > Certificates and using the Secure Services using: dropdown, select Custom...

3) Set the Open Directory service to use "None" as the certificate and click OK

4) Go to Advanced > Open Directory

5) Turn off Open Directory (wait for it to shut down)

6) Turn Open Directory back on

7) Go to Logs and check the Open Directory Configuration log to make sure there were no errors on startup

8) Go back to Server > Certificates and using the Secure Services using: dropdown, select Custom...

9) Set the Open Directory service to use your new SSL certificate - in this case, it's my GoDaddy certificate and click OK

After doing this and waiting a few moments...

10) Go to Server > Certificates and using the Secure Services using: dropdown, select Custom...

...and if successful you will see your new certificate selected. I would also check the OD Configuration log again to make sure.

Open Directory renewed SSL certificate will not set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.