Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My browser has been hijacked by malicious adware. How do I fix this?

MMy browser has been hijacked and I am taken to unwanted sites. A Safari symbol appeared warning me that my computer has been compromised and that my personal data is at risk. A number for Apple support was given and 200$ requested to fix the problem by a company called NTS IT CARE. Not trusting this I hung up. The problem is real enough company and I would appreciate any help .

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 3:15 PM

10 replies

Mar 4, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Zakynthos

1. Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

2. Click here and follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer, these ones. If you're willing to use a tool to remove it(you don't need to, but may find it easier), you can instead run Adware Medic; this link is a direct download.

(123476)

Mar 5, 2015 2:49 AM in response to Zakynthos

This is a total scam that uses javascript to take over the browser.

One basic solution is to quit (force quit if necessary) Safari. Disconnect

from the network you are on. For ethernet, unplug the cable or turn off

WiFi if that is your connection. These browser hijackers need a network

connection to survive. Then open Safari and go the the Safari menu

and select Clear History and all Website Data and in the dialog select all.

Sep 17, 2015 5:36 PM in response to Zakynthos

this NTS IT scam is still going strong. Friend just called, he got a POP UP saying his computer has been "compromised" - pop up says call 1- 844-613-2030 IMMEDIATELY.

He didn't fall for it.

But for fun, he called the number and they wanted his credit card because they wanted to "fix the problem" that "they were starting in the first place". Stellar! He gave them a fake card number, then hung up and called the police and Apple.

Phishing phishing, it's phishing season. It's always phishing season.

Oct 19, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Cåts

Yes, Rockeeeeeee, it's alive and well. Just happened to my husband today. I was asleep and he didn't want to wake me up when NTS IT Care jumped onboard and asked for $100 to fix their takeover of his computer. I was furious!! This needs to stop!!! I absolutely contacted Apple to let them know that it's still phishing season and that this company is using Apple big time to make tons of cash on unsuspecting folks. I'm contacting the FBI phishing site and reporting this phishing expedition. GRRRRR!!!

Jun 13, 2016 12:47 AM in response to Zakynthos

Dear Zakynthos

We are regret that we provided you with bad service and a poor customer experience—it is the exact opposite of what we pride ourselves on. We value our customers and understand how important it is to offer exceptional service.

At NTS IT Care, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. As a testament to our strive for perfection, we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again in future. Because of this serious oversight, we will strive best to resolve all your issues instant.

We deeply value your relationship with NTS IT Care and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best. If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us. Call us at 1-866-763-1760 or mail us at support@ntsitcare.com

Yours in service,

NTS IT Care

Support Team

NTS IT CARE is a leading provider of online technical support Services to clients across a wide range of computing and communications devices and software. We deliver support Services to millions of clients globally. We believe in maintaining long term relationship with client. We provide solution at a click. Our technicians are tech wizards. We are an independent remote software support provider and in no way is associated with any brand.

We provide you the best tailor made Services for any brand of computer and also for the devices that you connect to it. We are here to reduce your burden from going through different company or standing in a queue when you face any kind of computer related problem. We have a team of expert technicians & engineers who will help you to resolve all your software problems. At NTS IT CARE we try to educate our client about all the problem. We always try to improve our Services through your valuable feedbacks & inputs

Jun 13, 2016 1:28 AM in response to appreciate

Don't rm -R anything unless you know what it's for.

Here's a little tutorial on JavaScript alerts if you wish to see how easy it is for a website designer to make these pages appear.

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_alert.asp

If you have SIP enabled (it is by default) with OS X El Capitan, restart the computer. OS X is designed to remove identified adware / malware on user login. If popup issues persist or using Yosemite and earlier then try MalwareBytes.

Free download: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

MalwareBytes isn't an active protection application, it's a removal tool. You don't need software such as anti-virus on a Mac, watch what you download. JavaScript alerts themselves are not due to adware. Most browsers are java-script capable. Personally I use Chrome with the No-Script extension. This enables java-script only on websites you trust.

My browser has been hijacked by malicious adware. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.