Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes continuously deletes my music

This is really frustrating me. For the past few weeks or so, out of the blue itunes deleted my 700+ songs off my ipod. Two weeks after that, I added about 400 or so back and a few days ago it deleted them again. Now, today, it deleted the 100 or so that I managed to add back after a few hours. So far I've checked the forums for solutions and the common one I found being the AVG patch, doesn't apply to me I don't think. I'm using my aunt's laptop and she doesn't have the antivirus software installed. I've also tried checking the appropriate boxes in the 'preferences' menu but that hasn't helped either. I did make a back up of all the music files in advance but I really am getting tired of having to re add them every 2 days or so.

I haven't found a reason why it's deleting them so often, I tried uninstalling and re installing itunes so it's updated to the current version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm running out of things left to try.

Thank you!

iPod touch (4th generation), Windows 8

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:01 PM

11 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:58 PM in response to smappiekins

smappiekins wrote:

I backed it up by the option in itunes that says "Copy files to itunes library when adding to library"

Changing that option in itself doesn't do anything for content that has already been added to the library. If you had previously added content from say external drives before changing that option then you would have also needed to consolidate those files while they were still visible to the library.

The "missing file" error happens if the file is no longer where iTunes expects to find it. Possible causes are that you or some third party tool has moved, renamed or deleted the file, one of its parent folders, or the drive it lives on has had a change of drive letter. It is also possible that iTunes has changed from expecting the files to be in the pre-iTunes 9 layout to post-iTunes 9 layout, or vice-versa, and so is looking in slightly the wrong place. In the case of a library moved from one system to another there are also potential permissions issues. See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows.

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Ctrl-I to Get Info, then click No when asked to try to locate the track. (Due to a bug in iTunes 12 you currently have to say No twice!) Look on the summary tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be. Now take a look around your hard drive(s). Hopefully you can locate the track in question. If a section of your library has simply been moved, a folder renamed, or a drive letter has changed, it should be possible to reverse the actions. If the difference between the two paths is an additional Music folder in one path then this is a layout issue. I can explain further if that is the case.

In some cases iTunes may be able to repair itself if you go through the same steps with Get Info but this time click Locate and browse to the lost track. It may then offer to attempt to automatically fix other broken links.

If another application like Windows Media Player has moved/renamed the files then the chances are that subtle differences in naming strategies will make it hard to restore the media to the precise path that iTunes is expecting. In such cases, as long as the missing files can be found somewhere, you should be able to use my FindTracks script to reconnect them to iTunes. See this post for an explanation of how it works.

I may be able to give some more focused advice once there is a clearer picture of where things are.

tt2

Mar 4, 2015 4:45 PM in response to smappiekins

OK, that image shows the content of your device when it is connected to your library.

What about the library itself when your device is not connected? Does all the content work properly there? Is everything that is (or at least should be) on the device in your library?

In general the if iTunes is having trouble syncing content to your device.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup taken earlier.

You should probably copy off the contents of the camera roll first unless you have Photo Stream set up and it reliably captures everything. It also assumes that all media content on the device is in your library. If that might not be the case see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Mar 4, 2015 4:52 PM in response to turingtest2

When it isn't connected, it says it can't locate the tracks but that's usually normal. I've never had any issues with that. All the info is always correct and I've never had any issues before. I tried the security fix and I re added these songs again then I unplugged my ipod and plugged it in again and the files are still here for now.

Should I try a factory restore? Or just a backup?

itunes continuously deletes my music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.