Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54).

iTunes is up to date and running current version 12.1.1.4. Have never had an issue syncing my iPhone 4S until today. The message I get is that my iPhone...."cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54). Any ideas?

So far, I've tried it a couple of times all resulting in the same message. My next step was to reboot the computer. Did that and attempted to sync and got the message. Would it be best to uninstall iTunes and reinstall and then try it again? I appreciate your help.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:37 PM

could give these a try

What does "unknown error occurred (-54)" mean?

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 9:04 AM in response to ribonucleoside

Thank you for for the link to the unknown error (-54). I checked iTunes and all was in order with my being the administrator. I also followed the suggestion of "Run this as an administrator" when opening iTunes. I attempted to sync the iPhone and I did not get an error message so I assumed it synced. As a small test, I removed some photos and contact information from the iPhone and tried to sync again. I then verified the new photo count and it matched on iTunes, so I can only assume it is working. Thanks again for your prompt help.

iPhone 4S cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.