Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes sync problem

Hello all,

Okay so my story is going to be somewhat complicated so I will do the best I can to explain what happened:

It all starts out that I got an iPhone about 3 months ago. I had added about 50 something songs to it from my laptop. HOWEVER, my laptop (that had all the music files) died. I had to buy a new hard drive and re-install iTunes with it. NOW, the iTunes that I downloaded had no music on it what-so-ever, but my phone had music on it from the previous hard-drive that I had used. SO, iTunes did not pick up the songs through my library because they weren't on my computer, but it did pick them up through music "On my device."

Now this is where it can get complicated,

1. I downloaded songs and attempted to sync them to my iPhone 4, HOWEVER, when I was doing this I clicked an option that I believe stated: "Will clear all old iPhone files off that aren't on this library." So essentially I deleted my old iPhone music accidentally from iTunes on my computer.

2. Once I got the mess taken care of I got to the point where I had some duplicate songs from my newly downloaded music on my phone as well as the old music from my previous computer. BUT the music that was on my previous computer no longer works on my iPhone (It is GRAYED Out) and now I cannot delete them from my music on my iPhone and not through my computer because they don't show up anymore. So essentially those old music files are what I like to refer to as "Ghost files" and some of the newly duplicated songs are "GRAYED OUT" as well. (They don't work either, and they cannot be deleted since they are grayed out.

So the bottom line is.....

Does someone know how I can delete these "GRAYED OUT" files from my iPhone. I'm trying to clean up my music on my phone and it can be a little frustrating when I have duplicate songs and grayed out songs that I select but won't work. (They just skip to the next working track.)

Thanks,

dMancan

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 3:17 PM

There are no replies.

iTunes sync problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.