Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have tried to consolidate all my music files to my Itunes Media folder but it is still missing quite a few files. How can I fix this?

So I just bought a new computer and want to transfer my itunes library over. I went through the organize library option and consolidated the files to the itunes media folder, but when i checked the folder it was missing many files still. I tried to consolidate again and it didn't do anything. How can I fix this?

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:17 PM

15 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:47 PM in response to rahulfrompembroke pines

Did you attempt to consolidate the library on the old computer or the new one? It should be the former, and there are two steps you need to go through ...

1. Make sure that these two preferences are set in Edit > Preferences > Advanced:
    User uploaded file
  2. Select File > Library > Organize Library..., and when you see this prompt:
    User uploaded file
    check the Consolidate files box (and, if not greyed-out, the Reorganize files ... box) and click OK.

If this doesn't have the required results you probably have some "broken links" in your library (i.e., the file locations that iTunes has in its database don't correspond to the actual location of some of your media files). Hopefully the procedure above resolves your problem, but if not there are further steps that you can go through to repair the broken links so that the consolidation process can be completed and you can transfer your complete library.

Mar 4, 2015 2:17 PM in response to rahulfrompembroke pines

Just to clarify ... you still have media files that are linked correctly from iTunes (i.e., right-click > Get Info, File tab shows the correct location), but these have not been moved to the "expected" location - assuming your iTunes folder is in the default place - C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\artist_name\album_title - correct?

There are a couple of other scenarios in which iTunes may not be able to complete the consolidation process:

• Some folders in the iTunes Media hierarchy might be set to read-only - to fix this, right-click on your iTunes Media folder in Windows Explorer and select Properties. On the General tab there's a check box labeled "Read-only" - click the box so that the flag is unchecked and the box is white. Click OK, and then OK again when the "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" option selected.
  • Windows permissions issues are preventing iTunes from moving your media files (there's some anecdotal evidence of a change in this behavior in iTunes 12). See turingtest2's notes on Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows for advice on fixing this.

Then try the consolidation process again ... if it still doesn't work as expected we'll need to dive further into details of how your media is currently organized and how the non-moving items appear in iTunes.

Mar 4, 2015 3:00 PM in response to rahulfrompembroke pines

Ok so i figured it out

I went in itunes and selected all of my albums at once, from there I Right clicked> Get info> Unchecked the box next to compilation. After pushing ok it did a full change of all the albums and is now showing up properly in my itunes folder. I appreciate all the help guys, I wouldn't have known where to start at all if it wasn't for you all.

Mar 4, 2015 3:08 PM in response to rahulfrompembroke pines

Interesting ... changing the "Part of a Compilation" flag will normally move media, from:

iTunes Media\Music\Compilations\album_title

to:

iTunes Media\Music\artist_name\album_title

where artist_name is either the Album Artist value for all tracks in an album, or the common Artist value if Artist Value is blank (or the same as Artist). I wouldn't have necessarily thought that this would have had the right result (though obviously glad that it did) unless there was also an issue with the permissions or read-only setting on your iTunes Media\Music\Compilations folder that was preventing the media on your desktop being moved to there.

Mar 4, 2015 7:32 PM in response to rahulfrompembroke pines

Yes - over the years I've found a few digital downloads, and more that a few cases of metadata imported from Gracenote for CD imports, where albums by a single artist have been classified as "compilations". I suspect that this may have been due to the pre-iTunes 12 name for the flag - "Part of a compilation" - and the assumption that this should apply to "Best of" or "Greatest Hits" albums, In record industry parlance these are "compilations", just not in the more restrictive sense used in iTunes.

Mar 5, 2015 1:45 AM in response to hhgttg27

Back in the day setting the compilation flag was also used as a workaround for the lack of support for Album Artist in iTunes which didn't arrive until iTunes 7 (2006). As far as I know Gracenotes still doesn't support Album Artist, yet people will often tag the individual artists on each track and, as we know, iTunes needs either a common Artist or common Album Artist to link the tracks from an album together properly.

tt2

I have tried to consolidate all my music files to my Itunes Media folder but it is still missing quite a few files. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.