Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! I forgot my 'master' password

HELP! I forgot my 'master' password. I need to know my master password just encase I forget my login password. Note: It's not my Admin password, it's my master password.

Please help, Thank you!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:05 PM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2015 6:58 PM in response to Abraham Girt

So, this is a Firmware Password? You may be able to disable it. If the computer can be booted from a DVD version of Snow Leopard, then boot from that DVD, select your language. When the screen's menubar appears select Firmware Password from the Utilities menu. Proceed from there. Otherwise, follow the instructions here: Mac Pro (Late 2013), MacBook Air (Late 2010 and later), MacBook Pro (Early 2011 and later), iMac (Mid 2011 and later), Mac mini (Mid 2011)- Recovering a lost firmware password if they apply.

Mar 4, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Abraham Girt

It's sort of hard to help you when you don't quite know what it is, how it was made, where it was made, using what version of OS X, etc. You can shout MASTER PASSWORD all you want, but you aren't helping solve your problem. So, let's try again. Is this what you are referring to:

User uploaded file

If it is then all I have that may help you is:

Resetting a Lost Master Password

1. Log out all other users on the system, and then log in as an admin user.
  2. From the Finder, locate and delete the /Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.cer and /Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.keychain files.
  3. Open the Security preferences and authenticate as an admin user to unlock its settings, then click the FileVault tab.
  4. Click the Set master password button, because the computer will think the master password has not been set. When setting the master password, it's strongly recommended that you choose a high-quality password. Remember this single master password can be used to reset any other user account login password.
  5. Click the OK button to save the new Master Password.
  6. Log in using a FileVault account that was created with the previous master password.
  7. Open Security preferences and authenticate as an admin user to unlock its settings, then click the "Turn Off FileVault" button.
  8. You will be prompted to enter the current user's password; do so and then click the OK button. You will be presented with a final warning dialog reminding you that your are decrypting this user's home folder. Click the "Turn Off FileVault" button once more to return this user's home folder to a normal account. The user will be logged out and you will see a slightly modified login window showing the home folder decryption process.
  9. Once the user's folder is decrypted, log in to the user's account again and re-enable FileVault.
  10. Repeat steps 6 through 9 for each FileVault user created with the previous master password.

Mar 4, 2015 8:20 PM in response to Kappy

What does FileVault have to do with any of this? Okay, I want to use my Master password for 'if I use FileVault, or if I forget my login password'.

And yes, the photo you attached is what I want to reset, but I forgot my Master password. Okay, on what version of OS X I'm using, It's "OS X Mavericks 10.9.5". My Last one... My Master password was made by 'myself'.

Mar 4, 2015 8:43 PM in response to Abraham Girt

The steps provided should work, but i don't know if they are current up through Mavericks. The Master password is part of FileVault security and encryption, that's what it has to do with the Master password.

Please feel free to take it in to an Apple Store. They should be able to help you provided you can prove ownership of the computer.

Otherwise, you can try erasing the drive and reinstalling OS X or searching Google for a solution.

HELP! I forgot my 'master' password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.