Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD not showing in Disk Utility or TM recovery

My 2010 Macbook Pro had been running extremely slow the past few days, I'm not sure why. The hard drive was not full. I tried to use Time Machine to backup my laptop overnight, but 12 hours later it was still on preparing backup. I also noticed that Spotlight was stuck on estimating index time. Whilst trying to backup my laptop, it completely froze for about 15 minutes so I manually turned off my laptop and restarted it.

However, when I restarted my laptop I was greeted with the grey screen with a question mark in a folder. So I restarted my laptop again in to the Internet Recovery Mode to recover from my last backup, when I tried to do this there was no internal harddrive (Macintosh HD) to install my back up on to. I then went back to Disk Utility and Macintosh HD was not on there either.

Is there any way I can recover HD? I can't find anything online that can tell me how to. I don't understand how my hard drive just erased itself.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:05 PM

The drive appears to have died; if so, it needs to be replaced, and the data on it can only be recovered by a professional service.

(123469)

2 replies

Macintosh HD not showing in Disk Utility or TM recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.