Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

out of warranty replacment help

Hello,

I am in a bit of a mess and would like some feedback. When I purchased my iPhone 6 I purchased a squaretrade warranty for it. I chose squaretrade because they advertise that they will overnight you a new phone if yours breaks and the nearest apple store is ~2 hours away from where I live. Turns out that they won't do that for the iPhone 6 because "it's too new"...but that is a different story. So I dropped my iPhone and the screen broke. Squaretrade told me they couldn't send me a replacement and that I could go to a apple store to get it repaired and they would reimburse me. I explained that the apple store was too far away and they then told me to go to a local repair shop and have the screen replaced and they would reimburse the cost. I asked if this was my only option because I believed it would void any warranty I had through apple and was told those were my only options.

I proceeded to have the screen replaced at a local repair shop in the mall. They did a good job with the screen itself but in the process of doing the screen replacement they somehow damaged the home button. They admitted their mistake and went ahead and replaced my home button. However, once the home button was replaced, touch ID no longer works. After a little research I discovered that the touch ID sensor is somehow linked to the processor of the phone and when you replace the home button you apparently lose touch ID capability forever. I showed them this info online and they are refusing to replace the phone. I am now trying to work out a resolution with squaretrade and I believe they will reimburse me for the cost of paying apple for an out of warranty express replacement.

This brings me to my question. Will apple allow me to utlizing the out of warranty express replacement when I had a non apple store work on the phone? Also, am I correct with my understanding of the pricing...$299 for out of warranty service plus an extra $29 for express replacement service (it's my only phone and used for work purposes so I can't really go without it multiple days).

Thanks

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 5:08 PM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2015 12:14 PM in response to joshuafromalbany

" Will apple allow me to utlizing the out of warranty express replacement when I had a non apple store work on the phone? Also, am I correct with my understanding of the pricing...$299 for out of warranty service plus an extra $29 for express replacement service (it's my only phone and used for work purposes so I can't really go without it multiple days)."

Did you ever think of contacting Apple and ask?

Mar 5, 2015 1:40 PM in response to joshuafromalbany

joshuafromalbany wrote:

I proceeded to have the screen replaced at a local repair shop in the mall.

Unless that local repair shop at the mall was an Apple Authorized Service Provider, then you've voided ALL of your options from Apple. And that includes out-of-warranty options. ALL support from Apple has been voided if that repair shop wasn't an AASP.

out of warranty replacment help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.