Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system memory

Hi,

I'm having problems with the my macbook pro's flash storage and I'm hoping someone who has encountered this issue can help. Basically I keep getting warning messages saying that my mac is running low on system memory and I should delete a few things. When I check my flash storage it occasionally says I have less the 1GB left, which is insane because I have next to nothing saved on my computer. At one point I checked it and it said I had 15 GB left (not ideal, but manageable) and then 5 min later it said I had like 500 MB left.

I've looked through all my files, but I can't find anything larger then a few KB, and even then there are only a handful of them. I honestly have no idea where my space is disappearing to. I have a few editing programs: AVID, Final Cut, and Adobe Premiere, but I only work off of an external hard drive and I've checked and my render files are all on the external drives. I can't really delete these programs because of work and the only things I have saved on my computer are a few documents that can't total at most 2-5 GB, 1 picture (my background image), and a few songs.

I really hope someone can help me out. I hope I'm just a major idiot and can't see that it's actually a very basic solution, and that my mac isn't dying out on me.

I've inserted a photo of what my flash storage looks like. I've had to delete some of my Adobe apps that I don't use as frequently just to free up 5 GB. I also have no idea what in the "Other" could possibly take up over 200 GB.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 5:33 PM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 6:39 PM in response to kaz-k

Thanks for the link, I've tried some of the tips before, but unfortunately my problem is I've searched my documents folder, downloads folder, etc and I can't account for the amount of space that is being occupied. I also can't account for the chunks of my GB disappearing within minutes of doing basic tasks. I've even tried searching through all my files and sorting by size, but I can't find anything that could be contributing to my problem.

Mar 5, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the advice. It managed to free up 1 GB, but it didn't do much else. Is there something else I should be doing after I re-index? I searched through my downloads, documents, and even through all my files after and I'm still unable to account for whatever is contributing to the 200 GB of "Other" that is taking up space. Even when I checked all my files, there are only 135 items in there and they are each less than 1 MB.

system memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.