Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.1.2?

I just purchased a new iPhone 5c and it came with iOS 7.0.2 installed. I'd like to update to 7.1.2, but obviously iTunes will only allow me to update to the latest version of iOS 8. I've read a few different threads on other forums about how to do this, but none seem to have any success stories. Is there a proven way to do this? I really have no interest in ios8.

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:52 PM

11 replies

Mar 5, 2015 5:59 AM in response to chris catalano

chris catalano wrote:

Um, I wouldn't consider that jail breaking. I'm trying to load Apple's IOS, not some pirate software of some sort. Apple gives you the ability to download the system software and gives you the ability to update from a file as opposed to online.

The only way to load an expired copy of an iOS is to make a modification to the device/iOS. That's called jailbreaking. Your device is currently eligible for iOS 8.1.3. All previous versions are not longer legitimately available or installable to that device. Any workaround you attempt is a violation of the terms of use of the device and the iOS. Therefore, you will find no assistance here.

And out of curiosity, what exactly is it about iOS 8 that causes you to have 'no interest'? The only real differences are available options, but virtually every user option in iOS 8 that iOS 7 doesn't have is selectable, meaning you don't have to use it if you don't want.

Mar 5, 2015 7:57 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I've been using idevices since ios1. My general experience is that as a device gets older putting the most recent iOS on it causes degraded battery performance and more sluggish response overall. No, I don't have any data to support that, but its been my experience across many devices over many years.

IOS7 is more than fine for what I need. It's just a tool for me, so there's nothing in 8 that compels me to update. Again, its not that I have any huge dislike for ios8, its just that for me there's nothing in it that I want to compromise the device performance over.

Mar 5, 2015 8:03 AM in response to chris catalano

I have both a 5C and a 5S running the latest version of iOS. I notice no noticeable battery performance hit nor sluggish response at all in the variety of iOS versions I have run in the past year.

You have been given the answer to your query. You either keep your 5C on the iOS which which it shipped or upgrade to the latest iOS. Other options are not permissible. That's from Apple, not from the user community (that's who we are around here).

If you had data to support your assertion, that might be good to provide to Apple.

You have a path. You can either stay on it or stray. The choice is yours.

Mar 5, 2015 8:19 AM in response to chris catalano

And I've been using iOS devices for just as long, and managed literally hundreds of units. Anytime I get a report of a 'slowdown' or 'poor performance' from one of my people, it has always turned out to be either user error or a hardware failure. On a properly operating iOS unit, I have never had a problem with the most current version available for that unit. None of my 3GS units ever had a problem with 6.1.6. None of my iPhone 4 units had problems with 7.1.2. And none of my iPhone 4S units (45 at this time, but previously over 200) ever had a problem running iOS 8, any iteration, unless there was a hardware problem.

Apple doesn't release an iOS for a platform that will not properly handle it. While an 'older' iOS may run faster, that's because the processor isn't being used to it's full potential. But an iPhone 4S still uses less than it's full potential (not my much, but close enough) when running iOS 8.1.2.

How to upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.1.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.