Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Photo library wrong size

Hi, I'm trying to restore some space on my 16GB iPhone 5s and I've already imported all the photos in my computer and deleted almost all the photos from iOS Camera Roll. Now I have only 80 photos in camera roll, total 72mb (just 10 photos are 2mb size, taken with the phone, others are downloaded from internet). The problem is that iOS says that photo library is still using 749mb!!! How come? I have only those photos. The Recently deleted folder is empty!

How can I restore that space without resetting the phone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3, 16GB Gold

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 5:13 PM

25 replies

Sep 27, 2017 8:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

1- I was talking about your tip threat, sorry about this.

User uploaded file

And definitely the title and the first post describe my problem point by point, so, I though it would be helpfull to others talk about my experience with the solutions here, maybe someone else could even help me with extra tips. I think this is the way forums works

2- already cleared number 1...

3- Thanks for this info, it would be very helpful to have it somewhere in this threat, so people could now this bug was fix and their problems must be others.

Weird thing it still happen in my other devices…

4. Now I know one of the similar problems on my devices are not related with this obsolete bug.

5. I’m going to try the restore, as usually solves most of the problems.

Yes, I’m tired of so many problems related to software, and when I see a bug form 2 years ago, and I have the same problem (I don’t care if you thinks the bug is solved, probably it is, but obviously something related to this problem is happening!!!) I can allow myself being a bit sarcastic, I'm sorry about that.

Sep 27, 2017 3:44 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

your post have 43k views !

and those are just the people that just know they have some kind f problem (as this is almost invisible to the most of the users), and even more, those are just the people who knows something is happening and know how to find this!!!

I tested our 3 iPhones, and all have this problem!

wow I'm amusing, could this be something related to obsolence programmed?

"ups! sorry, we didn't were aware of this little problem which is making your iPhone's memory shrink stealthy" (Dr. Evil laugh...)

by the way, I couldn't fix it in mine with the date trick, I'll try to restore then...

big thanks for your tip 😉

Sep 27, 2017 7:19 AM in response to guguii

1. You can't conclude anything from the number of views. Which, BTW, is 13K, not 43K. Anyone with any kind of photo problem is likely to check any threads that mention it, because they will come up on a search, and, if it isn't their problem, they will move on.

2. The number of posts is slightly more meaningful. But when there's a wide discrepancy between views and posts it means that the thread did not show a similar problem. In this case there are 23 replies. Which means that the first post probably solved the problem for most users.

3. The first post was 2 years ago. The posted solution ("the date trick") fixed it 2 years ago. Because it was a bug in iOS 2 years ago that was fixed in a later release. And before yours, the most recent post was also 2 years ago.

4. If you still have a photo problem it is totally unrelated to the subject of this thread, so I suggest you start a new discussion where you describe your problem rather than tag on to this 2 year old unrelated thread.

5. The restore will most likely fix it. If you have data corruption in the Photos app that's a simple fix.

Mar 6, 2015 8:10 AM in response to svkrzn

Hello svkrzn,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue with your iPhone. If you have unaccounted for data associated with your photos, you may want to try the following portion of this article (the article is addressing a slightly different issue, but the instructions may still be useful in this case):

If your device gets stuck during startup

When starting up, you might see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen for a long time, or your device might restart again. Try these steps:

1. Make sure that you have iTunes 12 or later on your computer.
  2. Put your device in recovery mode.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, select Update. This will reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

Mar 20, 2015 2:58 PM in response to svkrzn

Have you checked the Recently Deleted album in Photos? If it's empty you may have run into a strange bug, where deleted photos don't actually get removed. To check for this follow these rather strange instructions:

• Go to Settings/General/Date & Time
  • Disable Set Automatically
  • Tap on the current date/time and roll it back about 2 years
  • Tap <General in the upper left
  • Launch the Photos app and go to the Recently Deleted album (even if it says there are 0 photos)
  • Is it full of photos? If so, delete them
  • Go back to Settings/General/Date & Time and turn Set Automatically back on

Mar 20, 2015 4:11 PM in response to svkrzn

One more thing I forgot to mention, is the Usage reporting the correct size of memory used and it's based on the sum of all the apps or are there any hidden items not shown in the list? Because my iPhone says 9.2GB used, 2.8GB available, so I summed up all the items displayed in the usage and I've got 6.8GB. Am I missing something or I've lost 3GB somewhere?

Mar 25, 2015 7:12 AM in response to svkrzn

1.7 GB is in the normal range for Other (typically 1 GB to 3 GB, with the larger number for phones with more storage). 1.7 is a little high for a 16 GB phone. The User Tip lists what it may include; MMS and iMessages with photos can take up a lot; likewise for email. Some of Other is operating system data, including the storage map (i-node table) that manages memory used by files. The size of this is directly proportional to the amount of storage on the device; it should be relatively small for a 16 GB iPhone. The rest is data storage for the built in apps.

iOS Photo library wrong size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.