Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Disabled in App Store

I can sign into iTunes with my Apple ID but when i try to get into the App Store it tells me that my Apple ID has been disabled?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:16 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Bzogone

I got an e-mail (which ended up in my spam folder) that says my account has been CLOSED for security reasons. Then it says it's been temporarily locked, because someone tried to log in from an unfamiliar location. It says, "Please help us confirm that it was you who tried to log in" & gives me a link to click. It all looks very official, but no way am I clicking that link.

Mar 5, 2015 6:10 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks, Gail. I haven't had any issues yet, but my Apple ID is an aol e-mail, & I know that there's an issue going on with that. From what I've read, as long as that's my Apple ID as opposed to being used as an actual e-mail (I'm not saying that correctly, but I can't think of the proper term), it's fine. In fact, I didn't get an e-mail about that, but my husband did. We'll see what happens. As for the e-mail that I got, I googled it, & found lots of instances of "Apple ID disabled" "locked", etc., but not one that said closed. And no one reported an e-mail or a link. We shall see... Thanks for the confidence booster. :-)

Mar 5, 2015 8:20 PM in response to AliciaWag

OK, so there is no issue going on with the AOL User Name change, it is just that Apple is no longer going to allow an Apple ID to be anything other than a valid email address. Some AOL users who set up Apple IDs long ago still have their AOL User Name as the Apple ID (say, Jane Doe). If you have Jane Doe as your Apple ID, you are being required to change it to a valid email address. But as long as you have janedoe@aol.com, you are fine.

Also, Apple will never send you an unsolicited email with a link in it to change your Apple ID, password, or to validate your Credit Card or anything else. The only time Apple will send you any sort of email with a link is when you have requested them to send that email to your Rescue Email address for the purposes of resetting forgotten Security Questions. But only you can initiate that action, so if you have not done that, then any email with a link in it from "Apple" is a scam.

So, the email you got is totally illegitimate. Send the info to that Apple link for phishing emails that I provided. These people are absolute lowlifes out there to fleece anyone they can.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 5, 2015 11:14 PM in response to AliciaWag

It says, "Please help us confirm that it was you who tried to log in" & gives me a link to click.

Is it an Apple link? When you hover your cursor over the link does the same Apple link appear? If so it may be a legitimate email from Apple.

Apple sent me an unsolicited email just last week stating that I needed to renew a certificate with a link to follow in the email, that was a legitimate Apple link to an Apple webpage.

The AOL conversion is a little tricky and hard to follow. Here is what Apple has to say;

Convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple ID Disabled in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.