Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a 144hz monitor to 15'' retina macbook pro?

Hi, I recently bought the benq xl2411z 24'' monitor which has the capacity to run in 140hz as opposed to 60hz. I have been told that you cannot run 144hz in OSX but you can do it in Windows (bootcamp),

Right now the screen is connected via HDMI; however, I have been told that HDMI is incapable of running 140hz and that I need to use DVI.

So basically, I'm wondering what is the best way to connect the external monitor to run 144hz?

Thanks!

BTW I have a mid 2014 retina macbook pro 15'' with intel iris pro (not discrete graphics).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2017 2:00 PM

People reading this, do not be mislead into believing there "is no other way".

I connect my 2012 Macbook Pro to a 144hz 1080p monitor with a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable that I bought at a local store for £15. It is NOT necessary to pay £100 for Apple's Dual-link DVI adapter.

6 replies

Mar 23, 2015 11:55 AM in response to LocutusEstBorg

Thanks for the reply, I eventually figured it out on my own. But for anyone else looking into this, yeah you need a Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI converter (the expensive one, not just the Mini Displayport to DVI). It does run 144Hz which is good. In my case I have a eGPU I was building, so in the end I didn't need the adaptor after all; but for most people you'll need the adaptor if you want to connect a high refresh rate monitor directly to your MPB.

Connecting a 144hz monitor to 15'' retina macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.