Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID Only, Pass Code Never Used, Locked Outl

I set up Touch ID as my only pass code. I'm certain because I just opened it new, out of the box, a few days ago. It has never been synced with a computer. Now I'm locked out due to my 9-year old not knowing it could only be accessed with Touch ID. It wants a pass code I NEVER set up. What do I do? Any info is greatly appreciated.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 6:42 PM

You cannot set up only Touch ID. You are required to set up a passcode when you set up Touch ID because if it cannot read your fingerprint, it will require the backup password after three touch ID attempts. It also requires the backup password after you have restarted your device or restored it. If you cannot remember your passcode you can follow the instructions in the link below that best apply to your situation:

iOS: Device Disabled

Cheers,

GB

FYI, from the Apple Support Touch ID set-up article:

Set up Touch ID

You can set up Touch ID in iOS Setup Assistant or by tapping Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. To set up Touch ID, you must first set a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode, but you need a passcode for additional security validation, such as enrolling new fingerprints.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2015 6:42 PM in response to rmchambers

You cannot set up only Touch ID. You are required to set up a passcode when you set up Touch ID because if it cannot read your fingerprint, it will require the backup password after three touch ID attempts. It also requires the backup password after you have restarted your device or restored it. If you cannot remember your passcode you can follow the instructions in the link below that best apply to your situation:

iOS: Device Disabled

Cheers,

GB

FYI, from the Apple Support Touch ID set-up article:

Set up Touch ID

You can set up Touch ID in iOS Setup Assistant or by tapping Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. To set up Touch ID, you must first set a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode, but you need a passcode for additional security validation, such as enrolling new fingerprints.

Touch ID Only, Pass Code Never Used, Locked Outl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.