Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming movies on Netflix freeze often.

When watching streaming movies (Netflix) on my TV the video freezes and shuts down from time to time. Is my Airport Extreme wireless the culprit? If so, how can I increase the range? I seem to get 35 mps from my internet provider. My iPad also seems slow and I get apps closing suddenly.

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 10:41 PM

It is hard to know.. what is the link speed for wireless?

When it drops out has the link speed dropped right down??

What mode is the AE in? If the ISP modem also a router? Does it have wireless as well?

It is better to do a wireless survey of the house before you start trying to figure out extenders which can work.. any airport can extend any other airport.. but it causes slow downs.. so may not achieve what you are asking for.. it is always better to hard wire with ethernet where you can.

Even when that isn't possible using Ethernet over Power adapters (homeplug in US) can give far superior results cf extend wireless.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2015 10:41 PM in response to brantleyestates

It is hard to know.. what is the link speed for wireless?

When it drops out has the link speed dropped right down??

What mode is the AE in? If the ISP modem also a router? Does it have wireless as well?

It is better to do a wireless survey of the house before you start trying to figure out extenders which can work.. any airport can extend any other airport.. but it causes slow downs.. so may not achieve what you are asking for.. it is always better to hard wire with ethernet where you can.

Even when that isn't possible using Ethernet over Power adapters (homeplug in US) can give far superior results cf extend wireless.

Mar 5, 2015 3:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

I don't know the answer to some of your questions. The connection to Netflix is interrupted, sometimes coming back, other times not coming back at all and I need to close out and connect again to Netflix starting the process over. Interestingly, my cable service goes out sometimes and I need to have the cable company reset the modem. When I called the cable company the last time its Tech said the problem was that the Apple Airport Supreme was on the wrong channel and needs to be set to another channel. Since the wireless router (Airport Supreme) was not provided by the company, it is my problem, assuming that is the problem. Does this sound correct? If so, how do you change the channel, and how do you decide which channel to go to?

Mar 5, 2015 3:59 PM in response to brantleyestates

When I called the cable company the last time its Tech said the problem was that the Apple Airport Supreme was on the wrong channel

It is unlikely to be the issue.. you are being fobbed off..

They are saying .. it is your problem because it is your network equipment not ours.

And although the airport "Supreme" might be apple's deepest desire it may not even be Extreme when it comes to wireless abillity.

Give me the full setup..

What modem router do you have? make and model?

What model is the AE? A1xxx from the base please.

If ISP supplied router has wireless as you suggest.. can you please try to use that instead of the AE when you use netflix.. ie turn off the AE completely and just use the ISP supplied router wireless and see if it has the same issues.

What is the streaming device? ie is this a smart TV with built in wireless and Netflix app or is this an Apple TV or a Roku, or Chromecast or Amazon fire etc???

If it is possible even for a test buy a long ethernet cable and plug the streaming device directly into the cable router. Turn off wireless and see what happens.. does that fix it?

More info please.. whole setup of the network..

Mar 5, 2015 4:53 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your detailed response. Here are some of the answers to your question:

1. The modem router is a Ubee (Dvw3201B) suppled by Bright House Road Runner. My understanding is that the cable company turned off the wireless feature and in fact, the panel light for wireless is not lit. I am not sure how to turn it on.

2. I do not see any model number on the base of the AE. "About this Mac" shows the card type to be: Ox14E4,oxBE) The unit was purchased from Apple about six months ago.

3. The streaming device is Samsung smart Tv and other device is through Sony blu-ray dvd.

4. Connecting all with ethernet would require installation through the walls.

It is interesting that cable (and email) also goes down on computer connected to AE by ethernet cable.

Mar 5, 2015 5:20 PM in response to brantleyestates

1. The modem router is a Ubee (Dvw3201B) suppled by Bright House Road Runner. My understanding is that the cable company turned off the wireless feature and in fact, the panel light for wireless is not lit. I am not sure how to turn it on.

To track down this issue we need to completely remove the AE from the configuration.. because if any blame is to go to the ISP they need to know it is just their equipment that is the trouble.

You may not be able to turn on wireless but ISP can do it remotely.. ring and ask.. or ask for the instructions to turn it on from your end.

I want you to completely remove the AE and just use the ISP router.

The userguide is available on this page.

http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/products/cable/voice-gateways/dvw3201b-advanced-w ireless-voice-gateway

However many ISP lock their devices so end users have to request setup changes.. I am not in the US so you will need to work that on out.

2. I do not see any model number on the base of the AE. "About this Mac" shows the card type to be: Ox14E4,oxBE) The unit was purchased from Apple about six months ago.

If it is the tall one it is the AC model..

Easy to tell .. old one is flat.. new one is tall.

Model number is on the base.. it is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it. And light from the right direction and carefully read the first line of text.. hidden in there it says model A1470 (that is my Time Capsule) .. yours will say A1521.

The AE has issues on the wan port.. so I would not be surprised if you have issues..

Please post some screenshots from your Airport utility.

This is the key one..

User uploaded file

Then click edit and show me the wireless tab and network tab..

so

User uploaded file

Let me strongly also suggest if you have the AE bridged which you should, then plug ethernet cable from the Ubee modem to a LAN port instead of WAN of your AE.. that can fix your problem in some cases. Give it a try even before you worry about getting the ISP to turn wireless back on.

Mar 5, 2015 9:20 PM in response to brantleyestates

You see your issue is double NAT..

Reset the AE to factory and start over.

Do not use the name you used last time.. change to short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.. this helps no end with SMB devices..

Passwords same rules.. but can be 8-20 characters .. network names best kept less than 10.

eg Base station name.. AEgen6

Wireless name.. AEwifi

When you run the wizard in the airport utility it will recommend names.. do not accept them.. change to names and passwords as above.

If the airport is not put into bridge then you select it after the setup.. go to the Network tab and select bridge.

User uploaded file

As noted then if you still have issues.. connect the Ubee modem to a AE Lan port not WAN. They are all the same in this setup and WAN port has more issues.

Mar 6, 2015 6:37 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for all of your help and time spent on this. I will try your suggestions.

Interestingly, when I talked to Bright House cable last night to bring my cable service back, the Tech indicated that Bright House could turn on the cable modem wi-fi which I may try after some of these other changes. The Tech also told me that, in the past when I called, the company merely refreshed the signal to my system. Last night he actually reset the system, and I did notice definite improvement in the streaming. In any event, I will continue to pursue your excellent ideas and may learn a little in the exercise. Thanks again.

Streaming movies on Netflix freeze often.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.