Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Apple ID and iCloud account without losing data?

I had to create a new Apple ID in order to move from sharing accounts with my parents because I just got a new phone and I want to switch everything over to my own information. I want to back up all my data on my old phone on iCloud to move over to the new one but now I am worried about deleting the iCloud account on this phone because I don't want to lose my data. I don't want to lose photos, contacts, apps, and most importantly text messages I have some important one I'd like to keep. So my question is will my text messages and all other data stay if I am completely changing both my Apple ID & i Cloud account?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 2:30 AM

Hi agil23,

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do doesn't work. You cannot simply merge and move all of your data and purchases from one iCloud account/Apple ID to another account.

1. Moving purchases like apps, movies, music etc. doesn't work at all.
  2. Some of your personal data can be moved, but not everything. I would recommend a third party service like iMazing (http://imazing.com/), that could help you a little bit.

With kind regards,

David

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 2:30 AM in response to agil23

Hi agil23,

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do doesn't work. You cannot simply merge and move all of your data and purchases from one iCloud account/Apple ID to another account.

1. Moving purchases like apps, movies, music etc. doesn't work at all.
  2. Some of your personal data can be moved, but not everything. I would recommend a third party service like iMazing (http://imazing.com/), that could help you a little bit.

With kind regards,

David

Mar 5, 2015 5:13 PM in response to david.menzel

Hi David,

Thanks for your answer! If I don't change my ID and iCloud is there a way to keep everything safely? The only real reason I don't want to back up my phone to the iCloud I share with my parents is because I have things I'd rather them not see but none of us use iCloud as of right now. Could I turn it on, back my phone up to it, restore everything on my new phone, then turn it off? Or will all the data still be on there after I've used it once?

Mar 5, 2015 11:47 PM in response to agil23

Hi Alexis,

The answer to your first question is simple, do not share your iCloud ID with someone else. Use different accounts instead for iCloud (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Documents and Data, Photos, etc.), and only use the same account for iTunes & App Store Purchases (Settings > iTunes & App Store Purchases) or set up Family Sharing.

To you second point. No, unfortunately, I'm not aware of another software who can do the same.

With kind regards,

David

Changing Apple ID and iCloud account without losing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.