Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Bass patch needed!

Hi all,

I've been trying to make a MONOPHONIC Bass patch in ESX24 that will ONLY play the LOWEST NOTE in any given chord. I'd like to double a piano in a live performance part but only following the lowest note. This is trivial to do after the fact with midi editor but in real time it seems tricky. If ESX24 won't do this, is there any other bass plugin or sampler that will?
Many thanks
Don

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:19 PM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2015 3:00 PM in response to DaCaptain

Wow that would be amazing! I had no idea this existed. I'm probably just north of novice grade when it comes to ESX24 tweaking. I will definitely check out this scripter but in the mean time, please do forward any ideas you might have on this as any help will be most appreciated!!

many thanks

Don

Mar 6, 2015 4:25 AM in response to donmr

I've always done this sort of thing with an extra instrument zoned to the low region of the keyboard. And just in case its played by more than one note you can force some monophonic instruments to favour the lowest note (rather than the last played or the highest). I don't know how to do this on EX24 though.

I'd be interested if you get something going with the scripting... I suspect that using any chord type algorithm will cause problems because all the notes of the chord not quite being playing at exactly the same time. Whereas In a midi part you can allow for timing discrepancies between note starts, when running live you can't 'look ahead' to see if the first note received is part of a chord or even what note of the chord it might be. So a live implementation would have to wait for some predetermined delay to estimate when the chord has been completed before it can identify the bass note. But maybe it might not matter too much if the note bounces around for a while before settling on the real lowest not of the chord but then you may just lose the correct attack of the note.

Mar 12, 2015 5:44 AM in response to donmr

Here it comes. It has a quirk, if pressing sustain and releasing the bass key and play new notes, but I think it works quite well.

Da Captain.

var NoteIsOn = 0;

function SwitchNote(NoteNumber, Velo, state)

{

if(Velo == 0)

return state;

if(state == 0)

{

var on = new NoteOn;

on.pitch = NoteNumber;

on.velocity = Velo;

on.send();

}

else

{

var off = new NoteOff;

off.pitch = NoteNumber;

off.velocity = Velo;

off.send();

}

state = 1 - state;

return state;

}

function Reset()

{

if(NoteIsOn == 1)

NoteIsOn = SwitchNote(BassNoteNumber, 1, NoteIsOn);

BassNoteNumber = 1000;

}

function HandleMIDI(event)

{

if(event instanceof NoteOn)

{

var Pitch = event.pitch;

if(Pitch < BassNoteNumber)

{

if(NoteIsOn == 1)

NoteIsOn = SwitchNote(BassNoteNumber, 1, NoteIsOn); // switch old note off

BassNoteNumber = Pitch;

NoteIsOn = SwitchNote(BassNoteNumber, event.velocity, NoteIsOn); // switch new Note on

}

}

else

if(event instanceof NoteOff)

{

var Pitch = event.pitch;

if(Pitch == BassNoteNumber)

{

if(NoteIsOn == 1)

NoteIsOn = SwitchNote(BassNoteNumber, 1, NoteIsOn); // switch old note off

BassNoteNumber = 1000;

}

}

else

event.send();

}

Help with Bass patch needed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.