Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word count in iCloud?

Is there no way to get word count in iCloud?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 9:49 PM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2015 2:00 AM in response to Carltf

In the OS X App Store, download the free WordService collection of services. When it is downloaded, it will automatically install multiple services that you must first enable in System Preferences ▸ Keyboard ▸ Shortcuts ▸ Services. Look for, and check WordService:Statistics to enable it. Notice that its keyboard shortcut is shift+command+I (capital i).

For any selected text in a Pages for iCloud document, choose Pages ▸ Services ▸ WordService:Statistics. A character, word, space, and paragraph (line) count will appear in a pop-up window.

If you run the WordService application (it will be placed in Launchpad), selecting the Help button will provide you a PDF opened in Preview that lists and describes the available services. Another handy one for lists is WordService:Sort Lines Ascending.

WordService services are available in other text/rich text based OS X applications.

Mar 5, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Carltf

In my previous post, I incorrectly stated to select text in a Pages for iCloud beta document, and then choose Pages ▸ Services ▸ WordService:Statistics. That is an unintentional typo. It should read Safari ▸ Services ▸ WordService:Statistics. That will give you a word count for selected text in your Pages for iCloud document.

Make certain that you have the following enabled:

System Preferences ▸ iCloud ▸ Documents & Data ▸ Options… Pages checked. Unless the following paragraph is true.

If you enabled iCloud Drive on your IOS 8.1 device, then it will need to be enabled on Pages for iCloud Beta, and OS X Yosemite must be installed on a Mac with iCloud Drive enabled. This will provide same version iCloud synchronization of documents & data if it is enabled in Settings for iCloud within IOS, Pages for iCloud beta, and OS X Yosemite's iCloud preferences.

If you turn on iCloud Drive on IOS 8.1.3 and Pages for iCloud beta, but have an OS X release older than Yosemite, then you will not have full iCloud synchronization because there is a iCloud version mismatch. Apparently, Apple is not motivated to retrofit the new iCloud version to older releases of OS X.

Word count in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.