Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the Airport Express to secure an unsecured network so I can safely use Dropcams?

I would like to set up two security cameras in my apartment. One feature that I really wanted was to get a notification on my phone whenever the motion detection was triggered. My apartment complex has a public unsecured network. I am concerned that if I set up the Dropcams on this network, anyone could easily watch my cameras just by downloading the app and being on the network. I already have an Airport Express and was hoping I could use it to set up a secured network that piggybacked off the public network so it would be more difficult to access my cameras. Is this possible? And is my concern valid that someone could very easily view my cameras if they were on an unsecured network?

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 9:43 PM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2015 10:46 PM in response to Sdavi77

When a wireless network is unsecured it is not necessarily open so everyone can see everyone else.. indeed that would be very strange.. you can setup public wireless so every user has internet access and no ability to see the other persons computers at all. It done with vlans which are protected from one another.. this is totally standard configuration in coffee shop etc.

Using your express and placing your cameras on the network is fine.. when you run your own wireless it must be secured..

BTW if everyone can actually see everyone else.. placing your cameras on a secured wireless is useless since your stream is still available to the whole LAN so security of a whole network = security of least protected area.

Can I use the Airport Express to secure an unsecured network so I can safely use Dropcams?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.