Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to choose Yosemite as startup disk from 10.6.8?

I installed Yosemite on one hard drive in a Mac Pro 2008. I've got 10.6.8 on another drive.

I can choose the 10.6.8 drive from inside Yosemite, but from 10.6.8, I can't choose the Yosemite boot drive?

I tried holding down the option key when booting, but my DELL U2713H monitor isn't displaying anything at all.

It there some way to select Yosemite as the boot drive from 10.6.8?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), FireFace 400, Intensity hdmi, Logic 9, FCS3

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 9:49 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 6:15 AM in response to exquirentibus

Can't be done from the System Preference panel. Yosemite uses core storage and Snow Leopard doesn't understand it. I've tested it here, too, and get the same result. I can choose Yosemite, Mavericks, Snow Leopard or Windows from within Yosemite, but Snow Leopard only sees itself, Windows and Mavericks.

The Option start is the only way to switch back to Yosemite, which should work. I can't guess why your monitor is blank on an Option key, boot manager startup.

Just to see if it helps to clear that issue, restart and hold the Command+Option+P+R keys. Keep holding them through three startup chimes. Then try an Option key start again.

how to choose Yosemite as startup disk from 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.