Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access icloud using my apple ID

Initial problem was when starting icloud for first time it continued indicating "upgrading" this went on for hours. I exited and tried to log in icloud again but this time I got the message "unsupported apple id" although this is my id and email address. I don't know how to overcome this.

I get the same response for either the iphone 5s and the ipad2

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 1:31 AM

12 replies

Mar 5, 2015 4:24 AM in response to david.menzel

David,

When I go into settings (either iphone or ipad) and select the icloud icon which takes me to the next page requesting Sign in and I use my apple id which is my email address and when I enter this I get the message "unsupported Apple ID" and goes on to state icloud requires an apple id that is an email address. Obviously this where everything comes to a halt

Regards

Gordon

Mar 5, 2015 4:32 AM in response to gshirref

Hi,

have you already read this:

Depending on how you created your Apple ID, you may not be able to create an iCloud account with your current Apple ID. If your Apple ID works in the iTunes Store, App Store, Game Center, FaceTime, or with other Apple Services, your Apple ID should work for iCloud. Also, if you created your Apple ID while you applied for a job at jobs.apple.com, your Apple ID should work for iCloud. If you cannot use your Apple ID with any Apple Services, it might not be compatible with iCloud. Contact iCloud Support for assistance.

iCloud: Account troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3988

Mar 7, 2015 1:41 AM in response to david.menzel

Hi David,

I have had partial success; the only way I could achieve it was to establish a new Apple ID for the the icloud when in the icloud sign in page on the iphone. This worked and the phone now speaks to the icloud.

Not completely fixed as now I have 2 icloud accounts ?

I then tried to log into icloud from the ipad, guess what, the new apple id returned the message "unsupported apple id". I am reluctant to create a further apple id as I feel that the hole that I am digging is getting deeper.

Perhaps a visit to the nearest Apple Store will suffice.

Regards

Gordon

Mar 13, 2015 6:25 AM in response to gshirref

Solution: if you get the "Unsupported AppleID" dialogue following an OS update in OS X on a desktop / laptop.

1) click "Cancel" button in the dialogue box,

then quickly

2) switch to the main Preference window ( button in menu bar that looks like several rows of tiny icons)

3) select the Security & Privacy Preference Pane, go to the Firewall tab and switch the firewall to OFF. (if necessary unlock padlock using your desktop keychain password)

4) re-open the iCloud Preference Pane where everything should be normal again. Login to iCloud if required.

5) switch back to Security & Privacy Preference Pane and switch Firewall back ON.

The above

Worked following "unsupported AppleID" dialogue blocked new agreement in the iCloud Preference Pane following upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.3. (March 2015)

I'm not sure which aspect of the Firewall triggered the AppleID issue, it may have been "Block all incoming", or "stealth mode", or…? It would seem that following significant changes or upgrades to the OS ones computer needs to re-establish an authenticated handshake with iCloud, by a different than everyday method is normally used to sync documents and data, and that a firewall blocks this initial handshake.

This may explain why some folks who have an effective router based firewall also have problems setting up iPads and iPhones.

Goodluck.

One could have reasonably have expected that Apple (the slackers) would have long since fixed this problem, or at least notified a workaround in the posted iCloud trouble shooting knowledgebase. This OS centred problem differs, from the earlier ICloud Authentication problem that was server based and affected users with very old AppleIDs that were flagged "Apple Retail Product Professional" which was caused by iCloud's database not recognising the Flag.

Cannot access icloud using my apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.