Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse keep scratching the table!

Hi,

I've got a Magic Mouse for just about 4 months, and realised recently that it had been scratching my tables, and also only to realise that the Apple Marque had worn off quite a fair bit because of the table surface touching scratching through the bottom aluminium battery cover plate.

Is this usual or I actually got defect products?

Kindly advise.

Thanks.

Regards,

Eric Seah

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 4:36 AM

6 replies

Mar 8, 2015 10:22 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thanks Ralph, I was equally surprised as well.

The reason of me posting in the Apple Support forum is because I actually went to the Mac Service Centre and they mentioned that it is 'normal' that it will scratch on the table. I personally felt it is like a manufacturing defect some sort, but they said it is usual hence my action to post it in the forum and see what other users' experience is.

If that's the case, I'll probably forward this Apple Online support then since I bought it online.

Thanks.

Regards,

Eric Seah

Mar 5, 2015 4:41 AM in response to ericseah

I have three machines using three Magic Mice and none have done anything like that...but I always use a mouse pad or piece of paper under the mouse...with an optical mouse I have found it is important to use something that has a dull surface to get the best response.

You might try taking the MagicMouse to an Apple store genius bar, show them the wear and see if that constitutes reason for replacement...there is a one year warranty on the mouse just like all Apple products.

Mar 5, 2015 5:01 AM in response to ericseah

A flat table surface shouldn't have any such effect; that is what the black skid slides ought to prevent. After only four months you seem to have grounds to complain, providing it was bought new from an authorised Apple supplier. Your original receipt is proof of purchase for guarantee reasons.

If you do get it replaced, you might try what I have used successfully for three years. I bought some thin, smooth black felt from an artist materials shop. It is about three mm thick. I cut out a piece about 50cm square and with double sided selotape fixed it to the desk. It is soft, non reflective and requires only a brush every couple of weeks to keep clean.

Mar 8, 2015 11:41 PM in response to ericseah

The guarantee should apply wherever. If you have an alternative local centre, try that. Otherwise seek advice from the on-line support section.

Like Ralph, my mice have never left marks as you describe. If the black skids are correctly fitted they raise the mouse around 2 to 3 mm above any point where the battery cover would touch the surface (unless of course, it has got bent in some way).

One other option. You could ask to speak to the manager of the centre you went to. Be polite, but insistent. Softly, softly, catchee monkey, we say over here.

Magic Mouse keep scratching the table!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.