Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text formatting in combined cells of tables

I am trying to explain german verb conjugation to my son, and to that means i created a table in Pages, with the person, the stem and the suffixes in a different column. The last column then consists of the complete form for that person, achieved by the formula " =(ColumnB) & (ColumnC)"

I formatted column B as Black Text, Column C as Red text, and was expecting the last column to maintain this formatting, rendering te stem in black, and the suffixes in Red. This expected behavior doesn't quite deliver:

User uploaded file

The formatting seems to behave randomly; "ich mache" and "du machst" behave as expected, "er macht" loses its formatting (but "ihr macht" suddenly regains it again). "Wir machen" and "Sie machen" also randomly seem to lose or gain formatting.

Adding a third column for past tense further complicates the issue. I can't seem to find the logic in this behavior. Any clue as to where i can look for an answer?

Pages 5.5.2 on OSX 10.10.2

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 5:45 AM

You will have solution consistency when you use the concatenate(string1, string2) text formula for consistent results in Pages v5.5.2 or Numbers v3.5.2.

So, for your formula in D2, it would be =concatenate(B2, C2). After the return, you duplicate this formula downwards by clicking on the D2 cell. You will see a yellow grip at the cell bottom, click and hold on this yellow dot until the entire cell border is yellow. Now drag downwards and the formula will be applied in cell Dn for rows 3 - 6.

Duplicating your data and coloration, I too, had consistency issues until I switched to the concatenate text function.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 5:45 AM in response to Jan-Joost

You will have solution consistency when you use the concatenate(string1, string2) text formula for consistent results in Pages v5.5.2 or Numbers v3.5.2.

So, for your formula in D2, it would be =concatenate(B2, C2). After the return, you duplicate this formula downwards by clicking on the D2 cell. You will see a yellow grip at the cell bottom, click and hold on this yellow dot until the entire cell border is yellow. Now drag downwards and the formula will be applied in cell Dn for rows 3 - 6.

Duplicating your data and coloration, I too, had consistency issues until I switched to the concatenate text function.

text formatting in combined cells of tables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.