Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will putting my Macbook Pro to sleep affect on SSD Life span ?

So, I am using a Macbook Pro MGX with built-in SSD only and had learnt around the Internet that each time when my MBP goes into Sleep mode, it copies all RAM data (8GB) into the SSD. By default setting of latest Yosemite, I assume my MBP will go into Sleep mode at least several times a day which mean the amount of data written into SSD for this task is 40-50GB daily at least. In a long time this could sum up TB. And I also learn that SSD life span depends on amount of data written into it also.

The question is will this affect my SSD life span in long term ? I know some users had decided to change the settings via Terminal to turn off this sleep/hibernation feature but not sure this is what I should do ? Because I believe when Apple releases the OS they had already loaded in the best optimizations for the hardware.

Really need your support/suggestion on this issue. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:20 AM

2 replies

Will putting my Macbook Pro to sleep affect on SSD Life span ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.