Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd Party SSD on MacBook Pro?

I have MacBook Pro 2009 13" with OS X Yosemite installed. But the problem is Yosemite handles 3rd Party SSD? If so, does it needs TRIM?

I'm going to upgrade to Samsung SSD soon when it arrives.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 6:27 AM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2015 8:04 AM in response to remolanot

Your MBP will be compatible with any SATA internal drive that has a 2.5" dia. formfactor, be it a HDD or a SSD. Note that your MBP has SATA2 connectivity so the full potential of a current SSD (SATA3) will not be realized. However there still should be a significant increase in performance.

Regarding TRIM, check with the manufacturer's technical support for their thoughts on the matter. Note that there are issues with TRIM with Yosemite OSX, so I suggest you avoid an update at this time.

Ciao.

Mar 5, 2015 8:19 AM in response to remolanot

In my opinion, no, 3rd party SSDs do not need TRIM with Yosemite. Today's SSDs come with Garbage Collection which handles the drive's clean up during the drive's idle time. Others may disagree that it's not needed.

You can definitely upgrade your 2009 MBP with an SSD. Just don't worry about activating TRIM when running Yosemite or any other prior OS X version for that matter.

Mar 6, 2015 4:29 AM in response to remolanot

remolanot wrote:

If SSD installed in my Mac, does TRIM is disabled in default? And if I have Mavericks installed on my Mac and enabled TRIM, can I install Yosemite without problems? If not, why?

Yes, TRIM is disabled in OS X for all 3rd party (non-Apple) SSDs.

If you have OS X Mavericks installed with TRIM enabled using a 3rd party SSD, yes, you can install Yosemite without any problems. TRIM will be disabled after the install until you play with the kext signing issue with Yosemite and TRIM enabler utilities. I'm of no help with getting TRIM enabled on Yosemite as I don't use any TRIM enabling utilities. I let the SSD's Garbage Collection feature handle things.

3rd Party SSD on MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.