Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Data Rate

Hi All,

I have a home setup consisting of 2x AirPort Extreme's (5th Gen) connected together via Cat5e. I was just having a browse in the airport utility and noticed my connection status on my extended AirPort Extreme was 'Good' with the data rate only at 100 Mb/s where the maximum was 1,000 Mb/s.

Anyone have any idea's where the bottleneck is here? Or have I possibly misconfigured something?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:49 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2015 7:58 AM in response to lowfoon

Unless you are using a very old version of AirPort Utility, you are looking at the wireless connection speed between your computer and the AirPort router......not the speed at which the two AirPorts connect together using Ethernet.....which would be 1,000 Mbps.

The version of AirPort Utility, likely 6.3.x, that you are using does not display wired connection speeds.

Even if you have your Mac connected to the AirPort using Ethernet, you are looking at the connection speed between the Mac and AirPort, not the connection speed between the two AirPorts.

Mar 5, 2015 8:45 AM in response to lowfoon

I get the same display and same results when I check AirPort Utility using an iPad.

Yet, using another real utility, I can easily verify that the two AirPorts here, which are connected via Ethernet, are communicating at Gigabit speeds. But, I have the Mac connected using Ethernet as well to run the check.

Unless you have an amazing adapter, I don't think that the iPhone or iPad can connect using Ethernet. Yet, the screenshot says it is.

Mar 5, 2015 9:22 AM in response to lowfoon

Network Utility on the Mac.

Check by first connecting the Mac to one of the LAN ports on the "remote" AirPort to verify that the link is Gigabit.

Then, disconnect the Ethernet cable coming from the "main" AirPort and connect it to the Mac and check again to verify that the connection is Gigabit.

This tells you that you have Gigabit speeds from the main AirPort through the remote AirPort and on to the Mac.

When my wife will turn loose of her iPad, I will do some additional checking with AirPort Utility installed on the iPad to see if anything has changed in since I checked this a few weeks ago during a similar discussion.

Airport Extreme Data Rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.