Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Current Mac Mini memory

Is it true that the current Mac Mini's memory is not upgradable?

In other words, you cannot add more memory later if you want/need to.

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:49 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Phil0124

Well crap! That really affects my buying decision. I'm not going to buy something that I cannot upgrade later. I was going to buy a Mini with the best processor available today and then upgrade the memory and HD later but if that's not a something I can do...no sale today.

The Mini is the only Mac that suits my needs as I need to be able to use a KVM. Well, maybe the Mac Pro would work but that's WAAAAAAYY too much money for my needs.

I currently have a 2011 Mini and I should be able to get a few more years out of it. I hope by that time Apple will have something that I can get at a lower buy in cost and upgrade as needed, like I have done with my 2011 Mini and the 2007 Mini before that. Meanwhile I will have to look at what's involved in moving back to the Windows Platform so I can make a good decision when the time comes.

In my house we have 2 Apple TVs, 5 iPhones, 2 Mac Minis, 3 iPads, an AirPort express and 2 Windows computers. So I am very invested in the Apple world.

Mar 5, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Ge0ph

Hopefully Apple will realize their mistake and offer upgrade possibilities in future versions of the Mac Mini.

I'm also using a 2011 Mac Mini. And yes, I was not happy with the RAM soldering on the new Minis. But, we'll just have to wait and see.

As to your KVM switch, other than the HDMI port on the Mac Mini which is not available on an iMac, all other ports are. Can you not use an iMac with your KVM switch?

Mar 5, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Phil0124

That would require two monitors, the iMac monitor and the Windows computer monitor. But they could share the same mouse and keyboard. Two monitors is what I'm trying to avoid. Plus with the cost of an iMac I might as well just get a decked out Mini.

I just updated my Windows workstation with a HP Stream Mini ($180) then upgraded the RAM to 16G ($65) and the SSD to a 240G ($130). It's one **** of a machine for $375.

Apple is really missing the boat on the Mini...in my opinion.

Current Mac Mini memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.