Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove a virus from my iMac?

My computer has a virus. I don't know what to do about it. MacKeeper was downloaded when I tried to update a Flash player. Now I'm having lots of problems and pop-ups. I trashed it and securely emptied the trash but I'm now getting messages that I have probably 2 viruses. I don't trust where this information is coming from and wonder how I can get rid of the viruses. I don't want to give anyone access to my computer to fix it online when I don't know who they are. Can I take it to an Apple Store or an Apple authorized dealer? Please help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 9:09 AM

You don't have virus.

You most likely have adware, you can try http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

11 replies

Oct 24, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Mate , you are a GENIUS ..ive been so depressed ..thinking my beautiful iMac was dead ….with an increasing number of pop ups that started taunting me with what they knew about my Mac's inner secrets ,,like my ISP etc …and NOW …after a few minutes it all looks like its GONE ..so i hope that is the last i will ever have this experience again. PHEW !!!! you did such a great service ..Thank you ….

Greetings from Downunder

redkelpie

Feb 8, 2016 2:07 PM in response to tomholly97

Explained above. You don't a virus or any type of malware.

These are scam pages that lock Safari to that page. You aren't infected with anything, despite what the page claims. Nothing was even download to your Mac. It's a JavaScript trick to keep Safari stuck to that page.

Force quit Safari. Hold the shift key and relaunch it.

No. Chrome, Opera, Firefox or any other browser is not immune. The only way to completely prevent it is to turn JavaScript off in the browser's preferences. But if you do that, much of the web doesn't work.

Feb 8, 2016 4:03 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allen, Don't be a snob... I'm literate and graduated with an advanced degree from a top institution. I read the thread and after pushing shift and quitting Safari the JavaScript is still there with the scam and Safari is frozen. I'm in the operating room all day and not behind a computer. Sorry, I know I'm inferior to you making $300k a year. Have a good day 😉

How do I remove a virus from my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.