Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch carriers with an iPhone 4?

So a few months ago I had my iPhone 5 stolen. I bought a 4, trying to cheaply replace said 5. However, upon receiving it and trying to put my SIM card into it - and consulting these forums - I see that the 4 is slaved to its carrier. It uses CDMA, not GSM, and basically won't even work outside the US. All this would be fine, except I live in Germany.

So, ladies and gentlemen, please help me explore my options. I'm writing these out as I think as I go through everything I'd do if I was still in the US.

Obviously I could return the phone (I bought it off of Amazon) and be out of an iPhone for another month (two weeks to send this phone back and get a refund, two weeks to receive the 4s sitting in my shopping cart).

As I'm in Germany, I have no idea if the companies here even take phones on trade-in, let alone ones assigned to American carriers. If it's possible, I'd love to trade this in for a 4S and pay the price difference, but again, do German phone carriers even do such a thing? Especially if the phone is from the US?

Speaking of trading in or even selling the phone, would it even be worth it to try to sell it over here as it's a Verizon phone?

Also, speaking of other carriers, is there any way I can....basically turn this Verizon iPhone into, say, a Vodafone or O2 iPhone? (I've had Verizon for ten years and never had to deal with these issues, pardon my ignorance).

Help me out, people, I know we have Apple users from all over the world, so if you had an iPhone 4 that is from a US carrier, but you did not live in the US, what would you do?

Thanks. It's still a 32GB, so I'll just use it as a glorified iPod until I figure out what to do with it. It's still half the price of a brand new iPod Touch, so...there's that, I guess (forced optimism ftw)?

iPhone 4, null

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:23 AM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2015 8:32 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Just to clarify, I don't have a Verizon contract. Not anymore, anyway. I use a prepaid SIM card (everyone and their brother told me not to get a contract) that gives me unlimited everything monthly for a reasonable price.

But I digress. The reason I bring that up is because I'm sitting on VZW's website now, and see nothing for contacting them for a standalone device. i.e. the only way to talk to them is if you're an existing customer or have an existing account. Because I bought this phone off Amazon, I don't have a Verizon phone number to log in with. Someone please tell me if I missed something.

Mar 5, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Stark2015

With an iPhone 4, you will not be able to get it unlocked to use on any other network. The iPhone 4 for Verizon is a CDMA only device and will not work with another network. You cannot unlock a CDMA device. I suggest you return the device and get a refund, then purchase an unlocked GSM phone. If returning it will take too long as you state, then you need to purchase an unlocked GSM phone and then independently sell the CDMA phone. Not much you can do with that device in Germany though.

Mar 5, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Stark2015

You're welcome. And CDMA still exists! However, the newer devices for Verizon, from the iPhone 5 and above, come with a GSM slot and it is unlocked from the beginning to use with other GSM networks. If you do not want to return the phone for a refund, Apple has a recycling program, but you don't get much for it. You would be better to sell it outright as I said. Be careful though as you purchase newer phones on the internet, as they could be locked with Activation lock and you would need to contact the original owner to get the device unlocked, and if you read much here, that can be next to impossible to do sometimes, and Apple will not help. Good luck with your phones.

How do I switch carriers with an iPhone 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.