Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uninstall then re install iTunes

I am having a lot of trouble trying to get rid of an earlier version off iTunes off my Windows 7 laptop. From what it seems like, when I downloaded it onto my computer something went wrong and it was working with my iPod Touch and Nano but when I try to hook in my iPhone 4 it doesn't recognize it anymore. So I have been trying to uninstall this version of iTunes off my laptop from the Control Panel and it will absolutely not let me touch it. I tried to download a 64 bit version of iTunes 12 and see if that would do anything different but all it says to me is that I have a 32 bit and need a 64 bit version to download that version when that's what I am already trying to do. Just trying to avoid a trip to the local PC guy, could really use some feedback!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:08 AM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2015 12:33 PM in response to gthreadgill7929

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 5, 2015 2:10 PM in response to gthreadgill7929

Is your Windows installation 64-bit? If so you need to install using either itunes6464setup.exe or iTunes64Setup.exe, otherwise it is iTunesSetup.exe. The first filename is used by the new (since 12.1) all 64-bit versions of iTunes, the last is the all 32-bit versions, and the one in the middle is the 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit components similar to all 64-bit versions prior to 12.1. This version may install properly if the full 64-bit version does not.

Depending on your browser and security settings the main iTunes download page may offer you the wrong build to download. There are direct links in my user tip.

The notes below the second box detail how to remove stubborn components.

tt2

uninstall then re install iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.