Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View Duplicate Messages in Apple Mail 7.3 in Mavericks

Hello,

Up till at least OS X Lion, if there were duplicate email messages, there would be a blue link in the header of the message in Apple Mail that you could click on to reveal the duplicate messages.

Im currently running Mavericks and Apple Mail 7.3.

By default, there no longer seems to be any indication that there are duplicate messages?? Is that correct???

I have found the Terminal commands that will allow me to "ungroup" duplicate messages:

To disable automatic grouping of duplicate messages, quit Mail then run this command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool true

To revert to the default setting, run this command:

defaults write com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool false

or simply delete the setting altogether with this command:

defaults delete com.apple.mail AlwaysShowDuplicates

If you want to see how Mail behaves with this setting enabled, but without modifying your preference file, start Mail from Terminal with this command:

/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail -AlwaysShowDuplicates YES

These seem to work fine as far as listing the duplicate messages in the message list.

HOWEVER . . .

What I am wondering is . .

Is there no way to leave the duplicates "grouped" so there is only single entry in the message list BUT have the link in the header that indicates that there are duplicates and allow you to click on that link to reveal the duplicates in the message list??? I find having the link in the header easier to work with rather than having ALL of the duplicates ungrouped in the message list.

ALSO - for what it's worth:

I also tried setting the "Show Header Detail" option in Mail Preferences to "Custom" which includes an entry called "Duplicates" in the list of times displayed in the custom header but I still do not get any indication (that I can see) that there are duplicate messages . . .

Any ideas or experience with this????

John

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:48 AM

There are no replies.

View Duplicate Messages in Apple Mail 7.3 in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.