Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage with Android and iPhone Users

Trying to send group message with iPhone and Android users. My iPhone will only send iMessage in this mixed group messaging, but will send single message to Android user as SMS. Other members of the group with iPhones do not have this issue.

Android user is former iPhone user and has deactivated iMessage. I have turned off iMessage and turned it back on. I have deleted the Android contact, turned off my phone, and re-added the contact. I deleted the old string of texts and started a new thread, which worked for a little while, but recently stopped working. What else can I do?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:57 AM

3 replies

Mar 11, 2015 2:37 PM in response to slrieder

I have been having this same exact problem. My son switched to Android 18 months ago, and he "unregistered" his phone number with Apple. Things were fine until last week (March 6, to be precise), then all of a sudden the group between myself, him and my wife will only send him iMessage texts and not SMS. This happened to both our phones at the same time. Jumped through Apple's hoops to make sure his phone number is no longer in their system (with a response it had already been removed); my wife and I have both turned iMessage off and on again. The only way we can use this conversation group is for both of us to switch off iMessage. Really a sad kind of work-around.

Texts straight to him, outside the group, are sent as SMS just fine.

If it's any help, the same conversation group in Message on my Yosemite iMac has dropped most of the SMS parts of the conversation, as well as on my iPad. Is there some sort of interference with Apple's new Continuity features?

I was hoping the iOS 8.2 release would fix this, but apparently the mandatory Watch app was more important.

Apr 3, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Alan V

This is the exact same thing that happens to me. I switched to an Android phone however my wife and I still have iPads and she uses an iPhone. I unregistered my number as apple requested. Normal Texting is fine however group messaging is messed up worse than ever. If I start a group msg with people on iPhones then it will switch to imessage and I will be left out of the conversation. Apparently everyone is thinking the iMessage bug is fixed but it is actually not fixed for group messaging and I do not hear anyone complaining about it. I love apple products but they just cannot get their services right. Or just release an iMessage app for android so I can get those group messages and I will be happy. But they need to do something.

Sep 19, 2015 10:47 AM in response to slrieder

Bump. I switched to Android and have been missing tons of group texts. I deregistered my phone number from iMessage. I have asked friends to start new group messages that will temporarily work as MMS but eventually switch back to iMessage. This is completely unacceptable, and it isn't right that Apple is effectively withholding messages from me.

iMessage with Android and iPhone Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.