Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stolen apple ipad sprint to blame!!!!

I had my ipad stolen back in November and went to the sprint store in Wichita Kansas and was told that I did not have insurance and that there was nothing I can do because I signed a 2 year contract and have to pay for it anyway. They told me I did not have insurance 4 times by 2 different stores. 3rd party stores. Anyway because of that I never turned it into the insurance and never got a new one. So I decided to look at my bills this month really close and realized that I do pay for insurance and always have I have been back to the sprint store 3 times and was told there is nothing they can do. Now my ipad has been removed from my icloud account and how is this possible? Please someone tell me where to go from here because sounds like the better business burrow to me!

iPad Mini, iOS 7

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:03 AM

12 replies

Mar 5, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Lacifox4

Lacifox4 wrote:

I had my ipad stolen back in November and went to the [1] sprint store in Wichita Kansas and [2] was told that I did not have insurance and that there was nothing I can do because I signed a [1] 2 year contract and have to pay for it anyway. [2] They told me I did not have insurance 4 times by 2 different stores. 3rd party stores. Anyway because of that I never turned it into the insurance and never got a new one. So I decided to look at my bills this month really close and [3] realized that I do pay for insurance and always have I have been back to the sprint store 3 times and was told [2] there is nothing they can do. Now [4] my ipad has been removed from my icloud account and how is this possible? Please someone tell me where to go from here because sounds like the better business burrow to me!

1. Sprint is not only your 'carrier' (as gail from maine says) but also the Apple Authorized Reseller for your iPhone - you are paying for your Service Contract and possibly the iPhone rolled into it.
  2. THEY may not have a way of Knowing anything about your INSURANCE Contract. If you chose a insurance policy at the time of purchase, it will be on the Receipt/Invoice you received at that moment though.
  3. The Insurer is not Sprint. They are not an insurance underwriter (to my knowledge - and if they are, it is likely a subsidiary not connected to the Sprint retail operation). CALL the company listed on the BILL you say is the insurance payment and FILE A CLAIM.
  4. Start a New Question with this issue. Tell a story so we can wrap our minds around what you know from experience. Apples and Oranges in this thread.

buenos dias

ÇÇÇ

Mar 5, 2015 11:09 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Sorry about the fast version I just returned from the sprint store again so I will start this from the beginning. My daughter is 10 years old and this is her ipad mini that she lost she thought and tried hiding it from me until thanksgiving. When she told me she lost it or it may have been stolen I went to the sprint I purchased the ipad from I was told that I did not have insurance on it but that I would still have to pay for it because I signed a 2 year contract and that there was nothing I could do. So I turned around and walked away. I got to thinking about it and went back up there about a week later and said that I have 2 phones and 1 ipad and would like to make sure that I had insurance on them because I didn't not want the same thing happening to my other I pad and was told again I did not have insurance on my Ipad and in order to get insurance for my other one that I did not have insurance on that I would have to drive almost to Kansas city to get apple care. That's 3 hours away! Then for some reason on the 17th of last month I decided to go through my bills online because I get ebills and I seen that I did indeed pay for insurance on both of my ipads! So I then went back up to the sprint store and took my bill with me and they tried to say I did not have insurance and to call *2 so I did and they said yes mam you have insurance would you like to file a claim. I did and they ask me when it was stolen I said after thanksgiving is when I first went to the sprint store and they said there was nothing they could do. So e-surance tried to file a claim and then I was told that the last time I was connected to the sprint network was nov.3 and that was past 60 days and that they suggest I go back up to the sprint store. So the nest day I went back up there and the manager talked to my insurance and they were to get back with me they never did. Then I went to a cooperate sprint office/store and they called the insurance and called them a scam because I was responsible and used wifi whenever possible and not the sprint network that they were not going to do the claim. So Monday I got a call from the insurance company and was told that the last time it was used on wifi was dec 19th and the 60 days was dec 21 they were sorry but was not able to file. Today I went back to the sprint store and alls they said was he was trying to escalate the problem. I still have to pay for everything until the situation is resolved! And now that the ipad is deleted from my ipad account so I just don't get it. I don't know what to do.

Mar 5, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Lacifox4

So you have/had a data plan on that iPad? Since you have a 2 year contract, you may have to pay for it - that is how they structure things. Most have a cancellation fee - you can ask about that.

And, all companies - including insurance - have terms in their contracts that spell out exactly what is covered, what is not covered, and what you have to do to make a claim. It appears that with Sprint's insurance, you are required to file a claim within 60 days So, check your paperwork/contract to see if that is what it says. If it does, you don't have much clout to make a claim now, but you can appeal to the company - but there are no guarantees. They are not legally required to do anything more than what it says in the contract.

Mar 5, 2015 12:01 PM in response to Lacifox4

Lacifox4

This sounds all too familiar - those pesky fine print clauses limiting the time you have to make a claim (the 60 days you mention?). As you kimono was open wide by the (likely) documented visits and conversations, it appears that you have no wiggle room to push back the loss date to within the 60 day window. Sorry.

The "AppleCare" deal is baffling. AppleCare is NOT insurance against loss or theft - it is a Support and Repair Product* - kinda like an extended warranty. If Sprint Store is not selling AppleCare, they are missing a revenue opportunity. Further, the store employees should not have sent you down such a rabbit trail - on purpose or out of ignorance - it looks like they may have been lying

From http://support.sprint.com/support/service/category/Total_Equipment_Protection-To tal_Equipment_Protection

GREEN is Insurance

*RED is "equivalent" to AppleCare

Important info

• Be covered against mechanical or electrical problems, routine maintenance or failure from normal use
  • Get repairs and service at Sprint Phone Repair Centers
  • Be insured for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage <<<<<=======
  • Cancel your coverage anytime without a penalty

• The insurance deal on your remaining devices... Go around the Retail Store and to the Sprint website and see what happens when you try to buy some.

one can easily purchase AppleCare on devices within a certain period of time after purchase of the device. Seehttp://www.apple.com/support/applecare/purchase/

And now that the ipad is deleted from my ipad account so I just don't get it.

OK. I don't understand the way this is phrased. Let's start over on this issue. Tell us a Story. Start with clarifying which iPad you are talking about being "deleted"? and what you mean by deleted and from where? Paint a mental picture of your actions - beginning to the resulting "absence".

Mar 5, 2015 12:19 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

The "AppleCare" deal is baffling.

Not really. Cell providers are not allowed to sell Applecare+ for iOS devices (which has nothing to do with the insurance offered by them). Only Apple sells it and, if you do not buy your device from Apple, you have to go to an Apple store and let them inspect the device before selling you the Applecare+. Here are the insurance offerings from Verizon:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/equipment-protection-overview/?intcmp=Sea rchBanner:insurance:Top

And, the iPad most likely got deleted from her support profile.

Mar 5, 2015 12:42 PM in response to babowa

I stand corrected. Inspection makes perfect sense.

So Sprint is not one of the "Many" or "select" Apple Authorized Resellers - to which the following refers?

From https://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Where can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+?

The AppleCare Protection Plan and AppleCare+ are available at the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and many Apple-authorized resellers and wireless service providers. AppleCare+ for iPad, AppleCare+ for iPhone, and AppleCare+ for iPod are available in Austria, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

SNIP

When I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+, do I need to register it?

You do not need to register AppleCare+ as it is always automatically registered.

In most cases, if you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan at the same time as your Apple hardware from the Apple Online Store, the Apple Retail Store, and select Apple resellers, you will not need to register it as your AppleCare agreement will be automatically registered.

With automatic registration, you will receive a proof of coverage, either immediately in the form of a receipt that indicates the end date of your AppleCare product coverage or within thirty days in the form of a Proof of Coverage certificate.

SNIP

Mar 5, 2015 1:49 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I would say probably not - I bought my iPhone at a reseller and was told that they weren't allowed to sell the Applecare+; neither was it available at Verizon. Here is more info:

How to get AppleCare+

Purchase AppleCare+ together with your new iPad, and you'll be automatically registered in the plan. Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPad.

Or buy it within 60 days of your iPad purchase:

• At an Apple Retail Store (if AppleCare+ is purchased separately from iPad, inspection of iPad and proof of purchase are required.)
    • Or call (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

from here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPAD_PLUS_AUTO-112700/applecare-plus-for-i pad

Mar 5, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Lacifox4

Lacifox4

If I were you, I would really do a cost/benefit analysis of buying loss-theft-dmage insurance for your remaining devices = pretty easy

Insurance + Deductible = Expensive (24 months + 1 major loss)

from http://www.tomsguide.com/us/cell-phone-insurance-guide,news-19710.html

User uploaded file

NEW iDevices = pricey but maybe not so much?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

⬆ click/tap for full size ⬆

Seems replacing out of pocket and putting it on the existing service plan is pretty close to a wash... What IF... you do NOT have a loss/theft/damage claim?

Looks like 3 X 8 X 24 = $576 for all three devices. No losses? One loss(add $100)

Tom'sGuide has very good philosophical discussion quoting some fella that has some credibility.

Mar 5, 2015 4:27 PM in response to babowa

I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's 2nd narrative, the AppleCare / Apple Store issue was actually a red-herring to get Laci out of the Store.

It may be that any insurance underwriter would want an inspection for "suffering from a previous condition". It would surprise me if locate.apple.com for her Wichita address didn't turn up a non-carrier AAR/SP that could inspect and sell AppleCare or just perform an inspection for a 3rd party insurer. I personally would not buy it for her 3 devices = too much $.

I had a Pismo stolen out of my Bronco(broke the wing glass) at a restaurant. My "Homeowner's" covered an auto break-in theft ?? Weird - but I did have both home & auto with Allstate. (didn't wait ONE day to claim, though)

stolen apple ipad sprint to blame!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.