Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone locked

i have bought a second hand iphone 4s and its locked. I do not have the itune id or password. Can this be reset to give me access?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:20 AM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2015 7:22 AM in response to Radds2503

You will have to contact the former owner to have them unlock the device by removing it from their iCloud account. If you cannot contact them, or the seller cannot contact them, return the device for a refund. There is no way for you to activate the device without that being done, and Apple will not assist in getting the information. The phone is useless without it. This is Activation Lock, and the previous owner still has the device locked to their account.

Mar 5, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Radds2503

If you are trying to activate an iPad or iPhone and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen or lost iPad or iPhone. You have no alternative. You must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and get a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

iphone locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.