Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AHT via Internet Recovery freezes...

Hello,

1) My system:

27" Imac mid 2011 (12,2)

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

2) I am suspecting a GPU failure because last night when playing a game, screen starting flashing in various colors making the game unplayable, but all other environments outside the game (when I quit it) were displaying fine. It appears as if the GPU overheated.

**Note that 3 months ago I replaced a failed GPU via Apple's HD6970M Replacement Program**

3) Because the issue is not persistent and a visit to the AppStore will probably be in vain, I would like to perform an Apple Hardware Test BUT:

- I am unable to find the recovery disk

- Pressing "D" does nothing, stating that AHT is not located within the HDD

- Pressing "Opt-D" prompts me to Internet Recovery -> connects via ethernet (also tried with Wi-Fi), then a few minutes after the process commences the "rotating globe" freezes, mouse cursor freezes, router activity lights stop, keyboard inputs freeze as well, and my only option left is a Hard Reset.

I am unable to find a downloadable AHT file anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), mid 2011

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:31 AM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Klarivon

If you cannot locate your original install discs then contact AppleCare and for a nominal cost they will ship you a new set. You will need the serial number of the computer and a credit card. If you cannot locate the SN please look under the computer's stand, it's normally stamped there or if you have the original shipping box it will be on that too.

AHT via Internet Recovery freezes...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.