Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library has migrated to trash

my entire iPhoto library has transferred itself to Trash.

I can find no way of backloading it to the relevant albums etc.

I can open and see all of the items, but I cannot move them. Each time that I seem to have got it correct, the contents have gone back to trash when I next open my Mac

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 9:40 AM

8 replies

Mar 5, 2015 12:08 PM in response to johnfromkings lynn

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• Is it the library package that's in the Trash or the image files from the library?
  • what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • what do you see in the iPhoto window when iPhoto opens?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Old Toad

Many thanks, I shall try to ascertain answers to your queries as best I can.

The Library image files are all in trash, not the Library package.

The version is iPhoto 9.5.1 [902.17]

I am running Maverick 10.9.5

When I attempt to open an album, for example, I obtain a flyer, telling me that the contents are in trash. Blank otherwise.

As far as trying fixes, I am at a loss, apart from the standard Permissions venue! I have also dragged individual pix from trash to dash and then laboriously, one at a time, dragging them back to their appropriate album. Sometimes this works, but 2.5K times!!

No upgrades or updates recently, although working up to Yosemite.

The Library is a "managed" one.

That's about all that comes to mind.

Mar 6, 2015 10:51 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, your halo must be shining brightly today !

What an immense relief. I promise, the first thing now, is to backup the lot.

One minor fly in the ointment. A few of the older entries, when returned, refuse to open because they are not of a recognisable format. How on earth can this be so, as they all came from the same Library?

You wouldn't, by any chance, have an answer to this too? Two miracles in a day - perhaps too much to hope for.

Nonetheless, my sincere thanks,

John

Mar 7, 2015 12:32 AM in response to johnfromkings lynn

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

iPhoto library has migrated to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.