Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to consolidate Apple IDs

I have three Apple IDs; let's call them bill, bill@me.com, and bill@email.net. They each seem to have a place in my use of Apple technologies, and I would like to combine them all, which may actually mean deleting some things and may just mean not using some things anymore (after changing to what I do want to use). Sorry, I am not sure. I know there are MANY articles about this, but I can't figure out what is correct and what doesn't work, etc, etc. Note that this is different from just changing an email address in iCloud (although I may have mixed that type of thing up in here too).

At various times, it seems that any of these can come up and ask for a password; I just changed to an iPhone 6, and at one point in the migration process from my older iPhone, I was asked for the password for "bill", which is an Apple ID I got WAY BACK on I think the second day Apple IDs needed to be applied for. Well, enough background 🙂.

I would like to rid myself of any need to remember passwords for the Apple IDs bill and bill@me.com, and just use the one that happens to be my email address. I know this will potentially involve at least:

- changing Apple IDs for iTunes songs I bought many years ago, or, if that is not possible, then registering my new phone

- changing something in iCloud

- changing something in FaceTime, iMessage, and perhaps many more apps

I am a little concerned about turning off iCloud to change something, because of the warning messages that come up. Can I just turn off iCloud, make a change, and turn it right back on, and the next sync will re-establish EVERYTHING (so, nothing is lost?)?

Thx,

Bill

iPad, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:28 AM

No matter what reasoning you may have, you cannot consolidate or merge Apple IDs. This is not allowed. Apps and music content purchased through iTunes is locked to the Apple ID used to purchase/download them. That cannot change either, so when it comes time to update and app, you need the Apple ID used to purchase it. If you want to just use one, then delete the content that was purchased/downloaded by the other IDs and download/purchase with the one you want to use.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 8:28 AM in response to William Day

No matter what reasoning you may have, you cannot consolidate or merge Apple IDs. This is not allowed. Apps and music content purchased through iTunes is locked to the Apple ID used to purchase/download them. That cannot change either, so when it comes time to update and app, you need the Apple ID used to purchase it. If you want to just use one, then delete the content that was purchased/downloaded by the other IDs and download/purchase with the one you want to use.

How to consolidate Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.